View Full Version : Does WM2003 software work on a WM2005 device?

maikii
02-24-2006, 09:15 AM
I'm thinking of getting the new T-Mobile (USA) MDA, which is a PPC phone running WM2005.

I currently have two WM2003 devices--an IPAQ 2210 PPC. and an Audiovox SMT5600 Smartphone. I have many software apps on both, purchased as well as freeware.

Will most of my WM2003 apps work on WM2005? Or would I have to buy new WM2005 versions?

Darius Wey
02-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Major third-party applications should already be compatible with Windows Mobile 5.0 (though you'll have to download the updated versions from the respective sites).

Smaller, mostly freeware applications might not support it. You can use this site (http://www.wm5fixsite.com/) to see if a particular application has been tested and verified as Windows Mobile 5.0-compatible.

inteller
02-24-2006, 09:45 PM
you will sometimes get warnings that the app isnt designed for WM5, but it will run.

certain apps could probably use some revamp on the way they use memory though since the memory model has changed so mcuh.

maikii
02-24-2006, 11:37 PM
Major third-party applications should already be compatible with Windows Mobile 5.0 (though you'll have to download the updated versions from the respective sites).

I suspect that if one has to download WM5 versions, one proably has to re-pay for them as well, even though one has already bought the WM2003 versions.

Darius Wey
02-25-2006, 03:33 AM
I suspect that if one has to download WM5 versions, one proably has to re-pay for them as well, even though one has already bought the WM2003 versions.

Actually, more often than not, you won't have to pay for it unless the Windows Mobile 5.0-compatible version is a whole new number release. A lot are merely point upgrades, which should work with your existing registration code.

You will have to consult each company's web site for further details, though. They've all set different upgrade policies.