View Full Version : Repair or buy new?

StarTide
02-24-2006, 02:17 AM
Hi,

My iPaq 1940, is having some issues, and in trying to rectify, I was upgrading the rom os. Everything went fine on the PC side, but the PPC is sort of hosed. HP tech support has been working with me, even though the unit is out of warranty, and none of the suggestions to reflash the rom os has worked.

HP is recommending to send the unit in to have the os reflashed, and has estimated $80 for tier 1 repair to update the rom.

I mostly use the iPaq for PIM, Listpro and e-books, and I have no issues using WM2003 .

So, just curious as to everyone's opinion whether you would choose to send in for repair and spend a minimum of $80, or put the $80 toward buying a new device.

I prefer the form factor of the 1940, so if buying new device, it appears the rx1950 would be similar, but I have yet to do any research regarding the unit, or on WM5.

Thanks,
Startide

Darius Wey
02-24-2006, 03:14 AM
So, just curious as to everyone's opinion whether you would choose to send in for repair and spend a minimum of $80, or put the $80 toward buying a new device.

I prefer the form factor of the 1940, so if buying new device, it appears the rx1950 would be similar, but I have yet to do any research regarding the unit, or on WM5.

If I were in your shoes, I'd channel that $80 toward having the h1940 fixed, or perhaps toward another new device other than the rx1950 (say, the iPAQ hx2000 series or the Dell Axim X51/X51v series). The rx1950 is - to put it short and sweet - crap in the realm of user-accessible memory.

Edgar_
02-24-2006, 03:55 AM
Only because i think the device is still a solid device and you should await the next generation vs buying current models. If buying new you gotta have VGA and more memory!

Call PocketPCtechs.com

They are a registered HP repair center, but even better, you can probably get that RAM upgraded to 128Mb AND a ROM reflash for about $120

They do great work. They upgraded my 4700 two years ago to 128Mb (it rocks!) and recently repaired it when it turned into a brick (worn dock connector shorting the motherboard).

You can get a 10% discount to Techs by subscribing to pocketpcthoughts.com - pays for itself with the discounts, free games, etc. Oh and Darius comes over and changes your Oil every 6 mos! :lol:

-Edgar

StarTide
02-24-2006, 11:23 PM
Thanks guys, for your opinions.

Was leaning towards repair, but was checking to see if there was a compelling reason to buy new. I'll be sending in for repair next week. In the meantime I'm using a Palm as backup, kind of weird.