View Full Version : Push Email Drives Interest In Windows Mobile 5

Ed Hansberry
02-23-2006, 03:30 PM
http://www.cw360.com/Articles/2006/02/21/214278/Microsoft'simprovedWindowsMobile50willboostapplicationschoiceforusers.htm<br /><br /><i>"Interest in Windows Mobile 5.0 has grown steadily, and it now attracts far more developers than any rival mobile operating system. This should improve the likelihood of IT directors being able to buy line-of-business mobile applications for the Microsoft platform. More than 10,000 developers are currently working on applications for Windows Mobile 5.0."</i><br /><br />The article has a lot of info on competitive platforms, such as RIM's J2ME implementation and Symbian. Oh yeah. It does mention PalmOS as well.<br /><br /><i>"What happened to the Palm OS? The Palm operating system had the largest share of the corporate market in the 1990s, but now Microsoft and RIM are the main options users have. Palm was rated the least important operating system to enterprise users in the Gartner survey of IT managers. It came behind mobile Linux...The Palm operating system was replaced with Windows Mobile 5.0 on Palm's own smartphone brand, Treo, last month."</i> :wink: :lol:

signothefish
02-23-2006, 05:02 PM
Although I've been discontent with the direction Windows Mobile devices are headed, I can't help but continue to support the Windows Mobile OS. I've stated elsewhere that we can't fight the inevitable 240x240 screens and device convergence, but we can at least get behind Microsoft by supporting their OS. After all, it's the one we are all very familiar with, and we don't want to see it die, because I can't imagine the alternatives. My only hope is that the push email and large software selection both drive the popularity of Windows Mobile to the point that people will start looking for more features in their devices, hence things like VGA, more RAM, and better utilized GPUs will make a come-back. It's really up to the device manufacturers what the future holds for us, not Microsoft. I can say that I'm not happy with the current offerings. Blaaaach! :pukeface:

PPCRules
02-23-2006, 07:55 PM
It came behind mobile Linux...
Ouch!

mmidgley
02-23-2006, 07:57 PM
so if WM5 is gaining popularity, why won't Microsoft release free development tools??

m.

Phillip Dyson
02-23-2006, 09:55 PM
Push Email Drives Interest In Windows Mobile 5

Its strange the way companies can win notoriety and fame from features that have yet to even materialize in the market.

Is that anything like how Pop star Albums go Platinum before they're even sold in the stores?