View Full Version : USB Cable More Reliable Than Cradle?

Brad Adrian
02-21-2006, 10:05 PM
I really like my HP hx2755, but there's one thing that bugs me. Whenever I try to synch using the supplied cradle, it invariably hangs. When I use a third-party USB/synch cable, it works just fine.

I can't understand the logic, but it's true 90% of the time. Anybody else see this (or have an idea why it is)?

LWesson
02-22-2006, 03:27 AM
I really like my HP hx2755, but there's one thing that bugs me. Whenever I try to synch using the supplied cradle, it invariably hangs. When I use a third-party USB/synch cable, it works just fine.

I can't understand the logic, but it's true 90% of the time. Anybody else see this (or have an idea why it is)?

In most cases this is an issue with the connector in the unit itself. When in the cradle, pressure is applied differently to the connector than when used with a cable.

Try the cable again and wiggle it slightly and see if the system hangs.

bmhome1
02-25-2006, 04:58 AM
Being one of the very few ever to get Activesync working 100% consistently USB syncing within Virtual PC running on a Mac, I found quickly there was an absolute correlation with success and only ever using a USB sync/charger cable instead of initiating a sync by inserting my iPaq into the cradle already connected. I also always connected the PPC end first and then plugged into USB port. It seemed the charging action starting also when plugging in the USB cable helped trigger a solid response everytime for XP struggling to run inside that virtual environment. I have only ever used the cradle for Activesync installs thereafter. There's no comparison to the solid contacts connection a quality cable offers vs the creaky cradle connect.

Since those days, I still rely on Activesyncing on a XP PC by using the USB charger cable and never have had a single recognition/initiation issue. I also like the disconnection from Activesync autostarting every five minutes when using a cradle.

Brad Adrian
02-26-2006, 06:45 PM
[quote="lwessonTry the cable again and wiggle it slightly and see if the system hangs.[/quote]
Yeah, I figured it has to do with the way the connectors are physically laid out and used. I've tried to (carefully) connect my device with the pop-off base removed, and it seems to work better.

BTW, I have NO idea why they'd make the base base/holder removable, do you?

LWesson
02-26-2006, 10:35 PM
[quote="lwessonTry the cable again and wiggle it slightly and see if the system hangs.
Yeah, I figured it has to do with the way the connectors are physically laid out and used. I've tried to (carefully) connect my device with the pop-off base removed, and it seems to work better.

BTW, I have NO idea why they'd make the base base/holder removable, do you?[/quote]

No, not really. Probably seemed like a good idea at the time.