View Full Version : HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO SOFT RESET YOUR PPC?

isajoo
02-20-2006, 02:13 AM
i wanted to know how long it takes for everyones ppc pdas to reset?

Q. How to know when your ppc is finished loading all start-up software?

my way of knowing...
A. When i can open a program like windows media player 9 and the second i get a mp3 to start playing. Thats when the ppc is finished its startup sequence.

I have a Toshiba E750 my start-up consist of a "safemode" program that runs first before anything else loads, then "tdlaunch" loads around 15 over sized (the same size as the startmenu/programs icons) Today screen icons, "BAtmemtime" battery/storage program for today screen, I have a High detailed background image on the today screen that loads and also "magic button" a taskbar replacement program loads up. ohhh.. and a
time/date program.
and it takes around 16-18 seconds to play a mp3 in windows media player 9

Would like to know if this is too slow?... newer pda's should be half the speed!!!

let me know what programs load also.

http://www.geocities.com/imtiazsajoo/Today2.JPG

Darius Wey
02-20-2006, 02:51 AM
I do feel this is a weird way to benchmark your device. Most of your Today plug-ins and background services are designed to launch on start-up, though it can lag if you have these loaded on a storage card - which brings me to my next point.

Would like to know if this is too slow?... newer pda's should be half the speed!!!

Interestingly, today's PDAs are probably relatively slower. On older Pocket PCs such as your E750, almost all data is being loaded from the faster RAM memory. Newer PDAs now running Windows Mobile 5.0 store everything on the slower Flash ROM memory, which can bite into the start-up time by one or two seconds.

Menneisyys
02-20-2006, 11:44 AM
i wanted to know how long it takes for everyones ppc pdas to reset?

Q. How to know when your ppc is finished loading all start-up software?

my way of knowing...
A. When i can open a program like windows media player 9 and the second i get a mp3 to start playing. Thats when the ppc is finished its startup sequence.

I have a Toshiba E750 my start-up consist of a "safemode" program that runs first before anything else loads, then "tdlaunch" loads around 15 over sized (the same size as the startmenu/programs icons) Today screen icons, "BAtmemtime" battery/storage program for today screen, I have a High detailed background image on the today screen that loads and also "magic button" a taskbar replacement program loads up. ohhh.. and a time/date program.
and it takes around 16-18 seconds to play a mp3 in windows media player 9

let me know what programs load also.

18-19 secs is average for a WM2003/WM2003SE device (PPC2k/PPC2k2 devices were much faster to boot in) - I've measured similar results with my WM2003/WM2003SE devices.

WM5 devices are, as Darius has already pointed out, definitely slower. For example, depending on the ROM version, the Qtek 9100/K-jam boots in between 52 and 70 seconds; the x51v with A06 about 50 secs.

pocketpcadmirer
02-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Interestingly me magician which runs Windows Mobile 2003 SE takes around full 50 secs to complete the full soft reset operation. My iPAQ 2215 used to take only 20 secs.

Sunny

msafi
02-20-2006, 07:38 PM
my HP Jornada 720 used to take 10 seconds?

my HTC Wizard takes 5 minutes.

Menneisyys
02-20-2006, 07:42 PM
my HP Jornada 720 used to take 10 seconds?

Old PPC's / H/PC's needed little time to boot in because they didn't need to uncompress/copy anything into the RAM.

my HTC Wizard takes 5 minutes.

Huh, that's pretty much. Are you sure it's 5 minutes? THen, something (for example, Skype in \Windows\Startup) really slows down the bootup process. The boot-in process takes 70 seconds at most even with the oldest (and slowest) ROM without any third-party apps to start.

msafi
02-20-2006, 10:47 PM
i was exaggerating. i just timed it and it takes two minutes and 10 seconds to boot up and load my two today plugins, phoneAlarm and Calendar+.

i also have the oldest ROM version. i'm waiting for the final version of ROM 2.8 to upgrade to it.

thanks,