View Full Version : Dell Axim X50v - how to clear data

cassidy0423
02-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Hi everyone,
I am selling my Axim and need to know how to delete the info that is on it. Could anyone help please?

Thanks, :?:

Darius Wey
02-17-2006, 04:30 PM
You'll need to do three things:

(1) Remove any storage cards. You wouldn't want to accidentally ship those off. :)

(2) Delete the files (both visible and hidden) in the Built-in Storage. First, open File Explorer, tap-and-hold on an empty space, and select View All Files (if it's not already selected). Next, navigate to Built-in Storage, select all your files, then delete them. For greater protection, you should use a formatting tool for the Pocket PC. For example, Spb Pocket Plus adds a format feature into File Explorer. If you were to tap-and-hold on the Built-in Storage icon and select Format, it would nuke the data a little more thoroughly.

(3) Finally, hard-reset your device. To do this, hold the power button and insert the stylus into the soft-reset hole simultaneously, then let go. This will revert the device back to factory default settings.

tregnier
02-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Why wouldn't just doing a hard reset clear everything not on a storage card?

Darius Wey
02-17-2006, 04:42 PM
Why wouldn't just doing a hard reset clear everything not on a storage card?

Because on pre-Windows Mobile 5.0 devices, built-in storage (in simple terms, the ROM) is tagged as non-volatile memory (thus, it has the ability to retain data even without power). A hard-reset would only wipe the contents of volatile memory (like the RAM).

tregnier
02-17-2006, 04:48 PM
I just sold my iPaq h3955 and all I did was a hard reset. Am I in trouble with data files being available?

cassidy0423
02-17-2006, 04:53 PM
Thanks so much Darius, I love this site :D Now could you tell which forum I should post in to ask advice on what to replace my Axim with? Don' t want the admins to have to move it :oops:

Darius Wey
02-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Thanks so much Darius, I love this site :D Now could you tell which forum I should post in to ask advice on what to replace my Axim with? Don' t want the admins to have to move it :oops:

"Just Chattin'" would be an appropriate forum. :)

Darius Wey
02-17-2006, 05:11 PM
I just sold my iPaq h3955 and all I did was a hard reset. Am I in trouble with data files being available?

(In response to your PM as well).

Were these files on the iPAQ File Store? If so, they would still be on there. Your eWallet files "should" be encrypted, so they're safe to a degree. Your other files, though, might be exposed. Unfortunately, there's not much you can really do at this stage. :(

However, if these files were simply in your primary storage area (in RAM), you can sleep easy tonight. They were wiped during the hard-reset.

tregnier
02-17-2006, 05:27 PM
However, if these files were simply in your primary storage area (in RAM), you can sleep easy tonight. They were wiped during the hard-reset.

Just so I understand, because I'm not sure of "where" things were...

I never used the iPaq File Store. I'm talking about the stuff that is synced from "My Documents" and that is synced from Outlook. Never stored on a storage card (removed anyway). I assume that this is the primary storage area. Can I sleep easy? :?: Right now I have an upset stomach. :oops:

Darius Wey
02-17-2006, 05:33 PM
I never used the iPaq File Store. I'm talking about the stuff that is synced from "My Documents" and that is synced from Outlook. Never stored on a storage card (removed anyway). I assume that this is the primary storage area. Can I sleep easy? :?: Right now I have an upset stomach. :oops:

You can sleep easy. ;) What you just mentioned existed in the volatile memory, so a hard-reset wiped it all.

tregnier
02-17-2006, 05:39 PM
Best news in a week (other than I'm going to AZ on vacation tomorrow). Sometimes having a PDA or other technology is like living in a glass house. Better pull the damn drapes! :D

Thanks, Darius, for posting so quickly and alleviating my stomach acid attack.

Darius Wey
02-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Thanks, Darius, for posting so quickly and alleviating my stomach acid attack.

No problem. Enjoy your vacation. :)