View Full Version : 4150 frozen on the startup screen??

Sooner Magic
02-16-2006, 05:19 PM
I have a 4150 (ROM 1.00) which has spontaneously frozen on the "HP iPAQ" startup screen...the screen where the blue bar moves from left to right.

I have performed a soft reset several times with no change in the behavior. Additionally, I have performed a hard reset and the "freezing" goes away.

When I attempt to restore from three different backups, it freezes on the startup again!

I have not installed any new software recently.

Any recommendations are GREATLY appreciated so that I do not have to reinstall and reconfigure everything after another hard reset.

:(

Sven Johannsen
02-16-2006, 09:26 PM
You just need to face it. Something got corrupted and your backups are restoring the corruption. You'll spend less time just setting it back up, than trying to figure out how to get around it.

Sooner Magic
02-16-2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks Sven. I was afraid of that.

Any thoughts on "Not to Do's" to reduce the likelihood of corruption in the future?

Jacob
02-16-2006, 09:31 PM
I've had this problem and Sven may be right.

I did manage to get around this and figure out exactly what was causing this by restoring different databases only and narrowing it down that way. That involved numerous hard resets and restores though.

It sucks, I know.

Constant Caffeine
02-16-2006, 10:11 PM
One thing you may want to do is upgrade your ROM to v1.10.

Sooner Magic
02-16-2006, 10:16 PM
I thought about upgrading to it, but if I recall correctly, there were numerous issues with it.....Am I mistaken?

rob_ocelot
02-16-2006, 10:49 PM
I thought about upgrading to it, but if I recall correctly, there were numerous issues with it.....Am I mistaken?

I haven't had any problems with ROM 1.1, at least nothing major. 1.1 also adds WPA for Wifi and a few other goodies.

One thing I recommend you don't do is restore a 1.0 backup to a 1.1 machine. Start over and reinstall everything. I found this out the hard way -- while you can restore the older backups, it creates some headaches down the road that may not rear their heads until a few months later.

DrQuincy
02-16-2006, 11:26 PM
Howdy!

My previous iPAQ was a 4155, and I would still be using it if my son had not cracked the screen. Anyway, I encountered that same issue with mine, and I was able to "fix" the issue by performing partial restores, omitting the items in \Windows\Startup\ folder. The reason that I had this issue was that one of the apps that was installed to load at startup was corrupted, so removing the shortcut from the startup folder enabled me to use my iPAQ.

Obviously, a partial restore may leave some files out that are required by one or more apps. The only thing that this workaround enabled me to accomplish was to offload files and databases that I wanted to keep (vehicle maintenance log, images, sounds, etc.), so this suggestion will not likely preclude the need for a hard reset and fresh install (which will likely breathe new life into your iPAQ anyway). Good luck!

Constant Caffeine
02-18-2006, 05:16 AM

I haven't had any problems with ROM 1.1, at least nothing major. 1.1 also adds WPA for Wifi and a few other goodies.

One thing I recommend you don't do is restore a 1.0 backup to a 1.1 machine. Start over and reinstall everything. I found this out the hard way -- while you can restore the older backups, it creates some headaches down the road that may not rear their heads until a few months later.

I have had the same results as rob_ocelot, none. :D

The worse that will happen is you will have the same problems only with an updated ROM.