View Full Version : Dell Axim x51v users: refrain from using the built-in Data Backup! It's unreliable!

Menneisyys
02-15-2006, 07:33 AM
Now that the final version of the WM5-compliant Spb Backup is released and I've been doing serious compatibility, stability and compliance tests for my next article, I've also run these tests on the Data Backup shipped with Dell Axim x51v Pocket PC's (ROM version A06; that is, the latest, most stable one).

As you may have already guessed (I wouldn't have posted anything otherwise), Data Backup has miserably failed these tests. It didn't restore the test WindowsCE mail databases and caused other problems too. For example, after a restoration, the beta version of Opera Web browser started to behave strangely – it just crashed on me almost every time I tried to enter something in its address bar. Opera has never done the same otherwise; neither after a restoration with the (final) Spb Backup or Sprite Backup 5.0.

All in all: forget Data Backup and go for either Sprite Backup or Spb Backup! (I'll soon publish their thorough, comparative review so that you will have an easier time choosing between the two.)

tanalasta
02-25-2006, 03:21 AM
Without a doubt, the Data Backup facility is not fully compatible with WM5 and shouldn't have been included in the package.

I tried it once - had it fail miserably and tell me my backup I created was a WM2003 backup and wouldn't restore probably.

Took me 10 minutes to log onto Handango, buy SPB Backup and have it work absolutely beaut.

Enough said :)