View Full Version : Nano Coatings Paint Green Future

Jason Dunn
02-13-2006, 11:35 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70117-0.html?tw=rss.index' target='_blank'>http://www.wired.com/news/technolog...ml?tw=rss.index</a><br /><br /></div><i>"New spray-on, nanotech coatings could keep iPod screens from scratching, make paper products waterproof and perform other minor modern miracles. And because they are cheaper, easier to apply and more environmentally friendly than substances currently in use, nanotechnology-based coatings could replace many of today's industrial paints and coatings. The nano coatings, "liquid solids" composed of extremely tiny particles, possess unique characteristics -- like extreme flexibility, easy adhesion and resistance to corrosion and microbial growth -- that could profoundly change the manufacturing process."</i><br /><br />Potentially a beneficial and significant upgrade for every device with a screen, and one that I'd welcome. My single biggest complaint about my Zen Vision:M is that the screen had scratches in it two days after I bought it, and I was extremely careful with it. The same problem occurs with Smartphones, Poket PCs, laptops, and many other devices. Bring on the nanotech!

Darius Wey
02-14-2006, 02:55 AM
I saw a news report on nanotechnology a few weeks back. The idea of using nanotech paint on cars gained mass appeal considering the tiny "bots" could automatically repair any fine scratches. Having something like this in consumer electronics would definitely be welcomed with open arms.

adrianstoermer
02-14-2006, 08:44 AM
Actually, you can buy nano coating to apply to your car windshield yourself. Nice thing about that is that when it's raining and you're driving down the highway, the raindrops will actually just fly right off your windshield. However, for that to work, you need to be driving something in the range of 85 to 90 miles an hour, preferably 100mph, so you gotta take your car to Germany for a ride. But since it rains a lot there, you'll get to admire the effect :wink:

dMores
02-14-2006, 05:32 PM
i got suckered into the nano-hype, and bought both a car-windshield-protector and a nano-coating for kitchen stuff (i have nice metal alessi salt-and-pepper dispensers, fruit basket etc.).

the windshield thing was a waste of time and money.
it didn't dispel water the way it was supposed to, even though i cleaned, de-greased and generally prepared my windshield to have nano applied.
i didn't use those gas-station-washer thingies, didn't drive through a car wash, and still the drops stuck to my windshield almost like before.
then, when you turn on the wipers, you get ugly smears and basically you can't see anything.
(i tried adding water manually, then blowing against it to see the nano effect. it was there. but i think i'd have to drive 200kph to not need to use the wipers)

the kitchen-protector-thingie was also worthless. i still have fingerprints on the metal, and dust combines with the coating to a hard-to-remove, sticky grime.

yes, i followed the instructions to a T, no i didn't apply too much, no i didn't apply too little.

don't buy it.