View Full Version : HP Gets Organised

Darius Wey
02-13-2006, 11:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/HP+reorg+to+split+handhelds%2C+notebooks/2100-1041_3-6038430.html' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/HP+reorg+to+spl..._3-6038430.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Hewlett-Packard has given its iPAQ handhelds their own business unit, announcing plans Sunday to separate the product teams for its notebooks and handhelds, including the new iPaq hw6900 series. Dave Rothschild, formerly of Sun Microsystems, Pixo and Netscape, will lead the new business unit reporting to Todd Bradley, executive vice president of HP's Personal Systems Group. Before Sunday, Ted Clark had presided over the development of both notebooks and iPAQs in the Mobility Business Unit, and he will keep control of notebook development in the new organization, HP said in a press release. Four units now make up HP's Personal Systems Group: handhelds, notebooks, desktops and workstations."</i><br /><br />I'm really hoping HP's managerial shuffling gives their iPAQ department a bit of spice. Over the past couple of years, we have seen more and more people grow tired of HP's incompetence. The company's reputation dropped when upgrades were refused for the h1900, h2200, and h4100 series. The rx3000 series was the next to be victimised. And, how could we forget the hx4700? Users of HP's most powerful device are still waiting for the Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrade (slated for March 1). A lot of catch-up work needs to be done if HP is to gain back the reputation it had in the Jornada days. Let's hope it happens, for their sake.

irwin_ng
02-13-2006, 05:47 PM
It's about time HP do something about it.
When HP and Compaq merged, I was afraid that they were going to HPs all the iPaq, which to a certain extent they did. the best iPaq post-merger are the 1940 and 4100 series, revolutionised handheld with its wifi and thin iPaq. Since then every thing they do just S*CKS.
just visit the HP website and you will see none of them are enticing me to buy. I am a hard-core iPaq fan, some of my friends are big fan too, since the days of good ol days 3600. These days, only me still using rx3700, others just couldn't resist the good thing HTC are offering thru o2 and Dopods.
rx1955 - the left out Bluetooth
hp2210 - rubbers comin off.
hx2400 &amp; 2700 - design too Jornadas like and not really nice.
and then mobile communication, with that squarish screen. get on with it HP, do you see other PDA going square. It just doesn't work, well at least not for or any HTC users.
I knew an executive from Compaq prior the merging, and he told me that after the merging, Hp just doesn't think that the idea of Phone PDA is going to work out. which explains why the 5000 series have a template of sim card but never made it to the real stuff. they have pictures posted on rumours but we never see any of them being sold.

I am frustrated at the current state of iPaq, 3 years ago, I was proud using an iPaq, nowadays, I tend to hide it.
no innovation have been made, no new beautiful models, which means nothing to show.
i miss compaq....

Patrick Y.
02-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Shoudn't it be "organized" in the title. ??

Constant Caffeine
02-13-2006, 07:54 PM

That's not the only typo. :wink:

Jonathon Watkins
02-14-2006, 12:31 AM
i miss compaq....

Welcome Iirwin_ng. Good to have you you with us. I quite agree with your thoughtful post. Surprised as I am to say it, I also miss the spark that Compaq bought to the PPC world.

ctmagnus
02-14-2006, 12:35 AM
Hopefully something I've wanted for a very long time will come of this: a reason to upgrade from my iPaq 5550. A lot of devices have come close, but all of them were inferior to my current device in some way.

Jonathon Watkins
02-14-2006, 12:39 AM

No, it's spelled correctly (depending on where in the world you live).

There are no typos in Darius's post. You guys may wish to read this post by Darius explain the varieties of English (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39718&amp;) used here on this international site. :)

Jonathon Watkins
02-14-2006, 12:42 AM
Hopefully something I've wanted for a very long time will come of this: a reason to upgrade from my iPaq 5550. A lot of devices have come close, but all of them were inferior to my current device in some way.

Ain't that the truth. I see very few totally compelling devices out there at the moment. All seem to suffer from some find of fatal flaw. :?

Nurhisham Hussein
02-14-2006, 02:19 AM

Yes, some of us actually read and write in English, not American :lol:

Constant Caffeine
02-14-2006, 08:55 PM

There are no typos in Darius's post. You guys may wish to read this post by Darius explain the varieties of English (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39718&amp;) used here on this international site. :)

My sister-in-law’s husband is Australian. He spells “organized” as I do.

Perhaps we are now looking at dialects?

Regardless of what is right or wrong, all Jonathon Watkins and I were commenting on is that it looked misspelled to us.

Janak Parekh
02-14-2006, 11:45 PM
My sister-in-law’s husband is Australian. He spells “organized” as I do. Perhaps we are now looking at dialects?
Or, perhaps he gave up and spells it this way to avoid "corrections"? ;) While Australian has a few American spelling tendencies, by far and away it's closer to English spelling.

Regardless of what is right or wrong, all Jonathon Watkins and I were commenting on is that it looked misspelled to us.
I don't think Jonathon commented it looks misspelled, he spells it like that too. In any case, it's not, and it's always a good thing to "broaden" your internal speller to accept other valid spellings. ;)

--janak

Patrick Y.
02-15-2006, 12:53 AM

I see. 8) Strange how English differs throughout the world. 8O

Darius Wey
02-15-2006, 03:41 AM
My sister-in-law’s husband is Australian. He spells “organized” as I do. Perhaps we are now looking at dialects?

There aren't really any dialects in Australian English. If anything, you might hear some slang in some states that you might not hear in other states, but definitely nothing significant such as the s/z in organised/organized.

Like Janak mentioned, I'm willing to bet that he gave up to avoid "corrections". :P

Janak Parekh
02-16-2006, 04:33 PM
English does have more spelling varieties than other languages, but every language is slightly different in different parts of the world. Latin America, for example, pronounces lots of Spanish words different than Spaniards. Certain verb conjugations are used in Spain that aren't used in the Americas. And so on.

Distance has an effect, especially since these variants evolved back in the day when travel was difficult and time-consuming.

--janak

Jonathon Watkins
02-16-2006, 09:27 PM

Check the quote title headings again CC. I was quoting you and Patrick Y an then disagreeing with you. :wink: I won't get into the 'we invented the language' debate. Suffice to say, there is room for many different types of English (and people) on the site. :)

Constant Caffeine
02-16-2006, 09:44 PM

Check the quote title headings again CC. I was quoting you and Patrick Y an then disagreeing with you. :wink: I won't get into the 'we invented the language' debate. Suffice to say, there is room for many different types of English (and people) on the site. :)

I meant Patrick Y. not JW. :oops:

Patrick Y.
02-17-2006, 07:47 AM
English does have more spelling varieties than other languages, but every language is slightly different in different parts of the world. Latin America, for example, pronounces lots of Spanish words different than Spaniards. Certain verb conjugations are used in Spain that aren't used in the Americas. And so on.

Distance has an effect, especially since these variants evolved back in the day when travel was difficult and time-consuming.

--janak

I'm also very surprised that PocketPCThoughts staff are great teachers too!! :lol: 8O

Edit: BTW, I thought you were only a merciless slave driver from other PPCT staffs. :mrgreen: lol

bnycastro
02-18-2006, 05:28 AM
As long as we understand what the person means then I think it is not such a big issue :)
--
Anyway I hope hp gets their act together... I too miss compaq... there was a time when all my friends called my PPC a palm... then they started calling it an iPAQ... my next 2 PPCs were/are not iPAQs... but they still call them iPAQs. Such a waste of a good brand... :cry:

I dunno what this phenomenon is called, for example here in Manila sometimes when people want to say toothpaste they say 'Colgate' instead... a worse example is when they want you to take their picture (this is pre-digital camera days), they would say Kodakan mo ako' [Take my picture]. Happens more with slightly less educated persons.