View Full Version : Tips & Tricks For Axim X51 & Windows Mobile 5.0?

DaViD_BRaNDoN
02-13-2006, 03:07 AM
Just got myself a Dell Axim X51 (replacing my HP iPAQ h4150) and am wondering if you guys could share some tips and tricks for Axim X51 and Windows Mobile 5.0. Looking for registry tweaks as I'm comfortable with handling registry manually as well as removing useless files. Thanks :mrgreen:

axjax
02-18-2006, 02:16 AM
Dave...

Most X51v owners do the following two tweaks:

Flash your ROM
The latest and greatest (supposedly) is A06, so check yours. Here's a link:

http://tinyurl.com/bqonb

It's relatively painless, just follow the instructions very carefully.

Do the Fake Server Trick
Courtesey of a Axim owner named "Invid" and another named "g00nerz", this was posted on another site but I don't know if that kind of link is allowed here. This will supposedly remmedy the constant attempts to sync in the cradle and also prevent "losing" your CF & SD cards:

1. Turn on your Axim
2. Go to Start > Programs > Activesync. This will open the Activesync program.
3. Tap Menu at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. This will bring up the Options Menu. Notice the option Schedule... is greyed out? This is the all-critical option we need to get access to. But as it's disabled we can't change Activesync's default synchronisation schedule.

Ok, so how do we enable the Schedule option? Easy!!! Fool Activesync into thinking there is an Exchange Server to sync with:

1. From Activesync's Menu tap on Add Server Source.
2. In the following screens you can enter any old garbage. It does not matter, but just in case your unsure, just type the following in the indicated boxes:

Server Address: fake
Tap Next
User name: fake
Password: fake
Domain: fake
(Ticking save password or going into the Advanced menu makes no difference, so no need to bother).
Tap Next
Untick all of the 'Data you want to synchronise' options
Tap Finish

3. Ok, we're done creating the server. You should now see in Activesync's main screen your normal Activesync connection(s), and a new connection called Exchange Server.
4. Go back into the Menu, and lo and behold the Schedule option is now enabled! Go ahead and tap it!
5. You will see that both options in the Schedule screen are set to Every 5 Minutes (A01 Rom), or Every 10 Minutes (A06 Rom). This simply will not do! ( * Advanced users - please see my note below * )
6. Using the drop downs, change both the Peak times and Off-peak times boxes to Manually.
7. Press the OK button at the top right of the screen.

Congratulations! Activesync is now gagged from opening on it's own and ruining your life! Your work is not done just yet though - time to clean up and get rid of the now unwanted fake Exchange Server.

1. Go back into Activesync's Menu, then Tap Options.
2. Highlight Exchange Server, then tap Delete. A warning message will appear about removing files etc, but as you have no files associated with the fake Exchange Server, it's nothing to worry about - just tap Ok.
3. The list will now only show your remaining PC Sync connection(s). Obviously do not delete these!

One other thing... I don't know if I'd be too quick to install ActiveSync v.4.1 as I did and I'm having issues.

Otherwise, this is an awesome little machine and welcome to the nutty world of Dell! :D

AxJax

DaViD_BRaNDoN
02-18-2006, 03:22 AM
@axjax: Thanks for the feedback. I've already upgraded my ROM to A05 (Axim X51) as well as the "Fake Server" trick. Anymore tips and tricks? :mrgreen:

Vincent M Ferrari
03-25-2006, 04:20 PM
That's a fantastic tip! That repetitive sync'ing was quite obnoxious!

DaViD_BRaNDoN
04-10-2006, 04:27 PM
More tips from others? :mrgreen:

tisoy
04-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Since also have a new X51V have been looking for tips and tweaks myself.

There are not many specifically for the X51V, all have come across so far are:

1. The fake server trick.

2. Disable Error Reporting ->Start/Settings/System/Error Reporting

AZMark
06-05-2006, 06:39 PM
Not really a trick, but SPB Pocket Plus, solves memory management problems, enhances PIE and the today screen, really makes your Axim more useful.

What are the other must have Axim x51v applications?

Pocketjumper
06-12-2006, 02:43 AM
Not really a trick, but SPB Pocket Plus, solves memory management problems, enhances PIE and the today screen, really makes your Axim more useful.

What are the other must have Axim x51v applications?

Games? ;)

rk325
06-13-2006, 08:58 PM
Can anyone explain in simple wrods what exactly do we accomplish by:
(i) Flashing your ROM and (ii) Do the Fake Server Trick ?

I'm having problems with my Dell Axim X51V:

1. Sometimes I cannot get to turn on. I keep pressing the power button and it does not turn on. The only way I can get it to work is by doing a soft reset. Yes, my battery is fully charged and more oevr, it happens when it is sitting in its craddle, connected with a power cord.

2. I'm running an application that is supposed to read data from an SD card....sometimes the data is read, others it is not. What exactly do you mean with the Server Trick option, when you say "losing" the SD, CF cards? As far as I can say, the data is in the SD card. If I navigate to it I can see it.

Pleae your soon reply will be greatly appreciated.

Pocketjumper
06-14-2006, 09:53 PM
Can anyone explain in simple wrods what exactly do we accomplish by:
(i) Flashing your ROM and (ii) Do the Fake Server Trick ?

I'm having problems with my Dell Axim X51V:

1. Sometimes I cannot get to turn on. I keep pressing the power button and it does not turn on. The only way I can get it to work is by doing a soft reset. Yes, my battery is fully charged and more oevr, it happens when it is sitting in its craddle, connected with a power cord.

2. I'm running an application that is supposed to read data from an SD card....sometimes the data is read, others it is not. What exactly do you mean with the Server Trick option, when you say "losing" the SD, CF cards? As far as I can say, the data is in the SD card. If I navigate to it I can see it.

Pleae your soon reply will be greatly appreciated.

1. Flashing your ROM ensures that you have the latest firmware for your Dell Axim. Dell periodically releases an updated firmware to correct issues, and add features.

2. The fake server trick is to deal with Activesync issues of randomly syncing in cradle, and the tendancy for the Dell Axim to not read what is in the memory cards.

3. The issue of not turning on when it is supposed to is a bug that is known to affect the Dell Axim x51 series. Dell is working to fix the issue.

4. See 2.

Menneisyys
06-19-2006, 07:21 AM
More tips from others? :mrgreen:

The Widcomm BT stack is very important:

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=122247

buss
02-15-2007, 07:24 AM
I just got my Axim X51v and would like to know how I can tell if I need to flash the ROM. Where would l check to see what version is currently on the unit?

Thansk in advance.

Brad Adrian
02-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Go to:

Start>Settings>System>About>Version

Targaid
08-04-2007, 11:54 AM
The Widcomm BT stack is very important:

Why?

I've just got an X51v to upgrade my X50v. What is this stack & why do we need it, please? :oops: :?:

chaugh
09-23-2007, 11:38 AM
hi i have a dell axim x51v that i brought a few months ago. About a month ago, it started having problems. Whenever i try to dock it, it turns off by itself, and wouldnt turn back on. I tried the soft reset, and even the hard reset, but it didnt respond. Finally, i took the battery out and after a few days, put it back in and it will turn back on. Does anybody know how to fix this? its rom is on a01, but i think i did the fake server trick.