View Full Version : Getting the Treo without a contract

coaldat6
02-12-2006, 09:13 PM
My 2 year contract is up in a few weeks and i want to upgrade from the Samsung i600 to the Treo 700. I saw the treo for sale (on ebay from reliable ppl) for nearly the same price offered by Verizon for "new-in-2."

I like the idea of getting the Treo without a new 2 yr. contract because I don't like being locked in for so long. (And I can upgrade again in a year if I choose to)

So my question is, what problems will I have getting it without the contract? Can I get insurance on the phone? Will I have trouble switching my plan?

Please let me know what you think...

jlc, just jlc
02-13-2006, 01:54 PM
My 2 year contract is up in a few weeks and i want to upgrade from the Samsung i600 to the Treo 700. I saw the treo for sale (on ebay from reliable ppl) for nearly the same price offered by Verizon for "new-in-2."

I like the idea of getting the Treo without a new 2 yr. contract because I don't like being locked in for so long. (And I can upgrade again in a year if I choose to)

So my question is, what problems will I have getting it without the contract? Can I get insurance on the phone? Will I have trouble switching my plan?

Please let me know what you think...

You should have no trouble activating the phone since only VZW cuurently offers the 700w; assuming th ephone works. You probably can't get insurance - that has to be bought within 30 days of a phone purchase, and they probably mean a new phone not one from eBay. If teh seller is a VZW dealer, then that may be different.

As for contracts, check with VZW - they typically extend the contract length when you change the plan.

neb1373
03-02-2006, 09:47 AM
i just got a treo 600 off ebay and activated it with no problem. they also asked me if i wanted to add insurance for it. you shouldnt have to change your plan at all.