View Full Version : .lit to .txt

McDeHack
02-12-2006, 11:37 AM
It's early on a Sunday morning, and my brain is not working too well. :(
Can anyone tell me how can I convert a .lit file to a .txt file.
Why? Well I have the ebooks for my Ipaq in .lit and I want some to read on my PSP that have to be .txt so they can be converted to .jpeg via the PSP ebook creator. 8O

hamishmacdonald
02-12-2006, 06:24 PM
This is generally allowed not within the terms of distribution for most e-books. That's why it's not easy.

There is a tool out there that can do it, but be aware that in doing so you may be breaking an agreement you made in buying the e-book. These boards are strict about piracy and 'warez' talk, so you'll have to Google for information about converting your LIT file.

This is true for any commercially-distributed book. If it's an 'open source' title, like a Project Gutenberg book, I'm not sure what the implications are.

ADBrown
02-12-2006, 08:30 PM
The tool is ConvertLIT. There's a silly rule that forbids actually linking to it, but you can mention the name. You'll need the application, plus (assuming that the book is encrypted) the digital signature of your Microsoft Reader from a PC where the book is activated.

Frankly, I'm glad that it looks like the MS Reader format is dying out.

McDeHack
02-13-2006, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the answers.
Some of the ebooks were from Guttenburg and other places. and were free downloads. So the question of the legality does not apply.
If I were to visit Guttenburg again I suppose I could download them again in .txt format. But as I said most are already in .lit.
So what will happen when the 'Sony epaper' arrives in the UK. Have you seen what formats this is in?

ADBrown
02-13-2006, 01:42 AM
So what will happen when the 'Sony epaper' arrives in the UK. Have you seen what formats this is in?

PDF and Sony proprietary formats only.

cherdman
03-18-2006, 06:51 AM
Old thread but....this is what you need:

[URL removed by mod SJC]

This free app takes all your crappy .lit and turns them into wonderful things...enjoy 0X

cherdman
03-21-2006, 03:22 AM
Old thread but....this is what you need:

[URL removed by mod SJC]

This free app takes all your crappy .lit and turns them into wonderful things...enjoy 0X

I'm not sure why the URL was removed. The program is legitimate, will convert only non-encrypted .LIT files to .txt as well as a variety of other formats. The application is called "ABC Amber LIT Converter" and is freeware and legal, unlike other .LIT converters that will explode encrypted .LIT files. Again, ABC Amber LIT Converter from ProcessText.com is an ok program to use and download, so search Google for it.

Mod SJC,

Any explanation for removing the URL? 8O

Steven Cedrone
03-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Mod SJC,

Any explanation for removing the URL? 8O

Sure: Because no where on the developers page does he explicitly say it does not convert encrypted books. PM me to continue this discussion. In the mean time, everyone is free to use Google to find the software...