View Full Version : Setting fixed drive letters for removable media?

ctmagnus
02-12-2006, 12:03 AM
With my current setup, I have an integrated SD slot that defaults to the E: drive when a card is inserted, an iPod that defaults to E: when it's connected and no SD card is inserted, and an iPaq that also defaults to E: when I have Softick Card Export enabled as Card Export mode and it's connected.

Is there any way to set these devices to take particular drive letters when connected, rather than the first available drive letter? afaict the only way to change drive letters is through the Computer Management applet in Administrative Tools, and it only lets you change the letters of fixed drives as opposed to removable media.

Cybrid
02-12-2006, 07:51 AM
have you tried simply naming the volumes? I simply named mine Kingston, )exar, etc. Om xp, the names show next to drive letter.

ctmagnus
02-12-2006, 08:07 AM
They do have names, but the thing I'm worried about is the fact that software references drive letters rather than devices - If I were to plug in an SD card while the iPod is connected, and run one of my Handy Backup jobs, the data would end up on the iPod rather than the SD card that I prefer to backup to. See where I'm coming from?

Cybrid
02-13-2006, 06:51 AM
They do have names, but the thing I'm worried about is the fact that software references drive letters rather than devices - If I were to plug in an SD card while the iPod is connected, and run one of my Handy Backup jobs, the data would end up on the iPod rather than the SD card that I prefer to backup to. See where I'm coming from?I see.....

Nurhisham Hussein
02-13-2006, 07:01 AM
afaict the only way to change drive letters is through the Computer Management applet in Administrative Tools, and it only lets you change the letters of fixed drives as opposed to removable media.

Are you sure? I've used fixed letters for all my USB removable drives and they all keep their drive letters.

ctmagnus
02-13-2006, 10:11 PM
Ok, if I stick an SD card in my JumpDrive Trio and connect it, I get a new entry under Removable Storage in Computer Management and can change the drive letter in Disk Management. But if I stick the card in the SD slot on this computer, there's still only the DVD drive listed under Removable Storage.

Nurhisham Hussein
02-14-2006, 02:24 AM
Ah - that's because it's the drive that counts, not the media in it. In your case, it's Trio and the slot that will be referenced by the drive letters - not the SD card.

ctmagnus
02-14-2006, 05:20 AM
Ah - that's because it's the drive that counts, not the media in it.

Ok, I figured it out now. The iPod wasn't showing up in Removable Media before even though I had enabled drive letter access on it. A reboot seems to have fixed that, though, and I now see how to set drive letters for the JumpDrive and iPaq as well.

Thanks!