View Full Version : Calligrapher 8.2..Is it compatiable with windows modile 5.0?

scarletknight96
02-10-2006, 01:15 AM
I have attempted to install this software several times, to no avial. It installs; however, mobile keyboard appears instead.

Can anyone assist me with this matter?

Darius Wey
02-10-2006, 03:23 AM
Do both methods of installation fail for you (i.e. over ActiveSync using the EXE, and locally on the device using the CAB)? What sort of error messages are you getting?

Patrick Y.
02-10-2006, 05:19 AM
Did you install it to main memory?

scarletknight96
02-10-2006, 08:53 AM
Correct me if I am wrong. When installing and uninstalling programs, do you have to perform this procedure on both the handheld and desktop? I noticed, when I uninstalled calligrapher 8.2 on the PDA handheld, it was removed. However, on the desktop add/remove, it was still there, as version 8.1.

apauaie
02-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Took this from Phatware website.....

When I select Write Pad and/or Write Anywhere SIP, the standard keyboard or other SIP is selected instead...
and/or
A today screen extension application won't work when the CalliGrapher SIP is active...
and/or
I can't enable BT or WiFi driver when CalliGrapher SIP is active...
What can I do to fix it?

Pocket PC system resources are limited. Due to the faulty design of Windows Mobile OS, all system extensions (Today screen add-ons, Phone software, BT and WiFi drivers, etc.) are loaded into the same system process which has a fixed memory limit. This memory limit is hard-coded by Microsoft in the OS kernel and is not affected by the amount of physical memory that you have on your device. If you have any third-party today screen add-ons, that is most likely the reason for this problem. Disabling third-party system-level applications will most likely address this issue. Click here for more information.
Note: it seems that Microsoft has addressed this issue in the latest version of Windows Mobile 5.0.
Possible work around: if you are not able to select Write Pad or Write Anywhere from the SIP menu, try to start CalliGrapher by selecting the Write Anywhere or the Write Pad icon in the Programs/CalliGrapher folder. This way you might be able to start CalliGrapher even if system resources are low.

Darius Wey
02-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Correct me if I am wrong. When installing and uninstalling programs, do you have to perform this procedure on both the handheld and desktop? I noticed, when I uninstalled calligrapher 8.2 on the PDA handheld, it was removed. However, on the desktop add/remove, it was still there, as version 8.1.

You can uninstall a program locally on the Pocket PC (using the device's Remove Programs applet), but it does leave setup files on the PC. Uninstalling on the PC (using Add/Remove Programs) tends to be a little more complete - removing files on both your PC and Pocket PC (if your device is in the cradle). Not following the latter, however, is rarely the cause of installation errors.

If you're receiving an error message saying that the installation of Program XYZ was unsuccessful, then try soft-resetting your Pocket PC and attempting the installation again.

Sven Johannsen
02-10-2006, 04:11 PM
In the desktop AS Add/Remove Progams list. If the program is there and checked, it means the progrma is available on the desktop and the connected PPC. If it is not checked, it means it is available for install, but not currently on the connected PPC. If the program is grayed out (it will always be checked in theis case), it means the program is on the connected device, but the setup files are not on that desktop.

You can uninstall the app from the connected PPC by unchecking the box by an application. If you want it back you just need to recheck the box (and hit OK, or install). In most cases you can also use this, check-the-box method to install on a new, or second, or hard reset device, more conveniently than going back to the original instal files. You can uninstall the app and all the setup files by selecting an app and using the remove from PPC and desktop button near the bottom. If you do this you need to go back to the original setup files to re-install.

If you have an issue upgrading an existing app, sometimes it is best to remove from both the desktop and PPC and re-run setup from scratch. WM5 seems to have some issues with this, more so than previous versions. In some cases you will need to go to the SD card, or wherever you had the program installed and delete the program's folder.

There are some nice programs, such as some SPB ones that ask for the registration code on the PC and save that there, so when you un-install and re-install from AS, you don't need to enter it again. And there are some programs, like Repligo, that just don't seem to want to install from AS directly. You need to go to the install files each time.

In this case, if the install seemed to go OK, likely the info about resources is important.

scarletknight96
02-10-2006, 05:02 PM
I have tried every possible means of uninstalling to get calligrapher to work, yet - to no avail. I will just wait on a patch to remedy this problem. I don't believe that I should sacrafice one program for another after spending so much money on a brand new hardware and software. I'll be a little patient and in the mean while, just use transcriber, which is not too bad, incomparison to calligrapher 8. Heck, based on this transcriber's performance, I just might get use to it and fall in love with it. Thanks for the support and the feedback. If you should come across any new info., please keep me updated.