View Full Version : Deployment of VB app

JohnHappy
02-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Using VS 2005 to develop a simple app for a friends PPC. His PPC is on order and I'm developing it using the emulator.

This is my first attempt at developing for a PPC and I think I've got the solution finished. It works fine on the emulator.

Will installing the app be as simple as connecting his new PPC to my pc, clicking on the VS 2005 deploy choice under the Build menu and choosing to deploy to the connected Pocket PC or do I have to create one or more installation files and somehow use them to install the app?

Please help me understand what to expect.

johnnylocust
02-08-2006, 07:56 PM
Will installing the app be as simple as connecting his new PPC to my pc, clicking on the VS 2005 deploy choice under the Build menu and choosing to deploy to the connected Pocket PC

Yep.

JohnHappy
02-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Great .... that's good news.

Guest979
02-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Yes, you can do that, but if you want to give or sell your program to others, why not use the Generate CAB File menu option? It is totally automatic, unless you need to write a custom INF file, which can be difficult. But usually, you would only need to do that if you want to specify some unusual places to store additional files you are installing, or if you want to change the registry.

sriram_2001
02-17-2006, 11:15 PM
You could also use the 'Smart Device CAB Project' template in VS 2005 through which you can customize your CAB to your heart's content