View Full Version : XP screensavers not starting...what could be the problem?

Prevost
02-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Hello again.

My Windows XP home unit is working much better after reinstalling, but another problem has got in: screensavers only work if the assigned delay is set to 1 minute. Any other waiting time and they would never trigger.

Have any of you experienced this? Can you suggest a solution?

Thanks. Ah, by the way, I'm starting to ge accustomed to select my own (and only) name at startup. I NEVER could manage to make Windows to skip that (redundant) question. :roll:

Janak Parekh
02-08-2006, 10:29 PM
My Windows XP home unit is working much better after reinstalling, but another problem has got in: screensavers only work if the assigned delay is set to 1 minute. Any other waiting time and they would never trigger.
Do you have any power saving, i.e., does the monitor blank without the screensaver?

Thanks. Ah, by the way, I'm starting to ge accustomed to select my own (and only) name at startup. I NEVER could manage to make Windows to skip that (redundant) question. :roll:
If your username has no password, removing the ASP.NET user will work, and is the cleanest way to solve the problem. I've done it quite a few times.

--janak

Prevost
02-09-2006, 03:18 AM
Do you have any power saving, i.e., does the monitor blank without the screensaver?
No - it simply keeps showing the last screen you've been working in.

If your username has no password, removing the ASP.NET user will work, and is the cleanest way to solve the problem. I've done it quite a few times.

--janak
Well, now I remember...last time I tried that, I also removed my own user name and...well... :oops: ...had to reinstall Windows since I couldn't sign in (no user was shown) - and no chance to backup any of that last week's work.

Now I'll do again...better.

Prevost
02-09-2006, 03:30 AM
Well, done. ASP.NET is gone...tomorrow I'll be sure if it works.

Now Janak, here is something I see different from my previous WinXP installation: I used to have too many user accounts. Yes, there was one with my own name, ASP.net, AND the Administrator account.

I don't know at which moment I created the account with my name and was it assigned to be apart from the Admin account at that installation, since in my current one the account with my name is ALSO that one of the System Administrator.

Sometimes I wonder if WinXP has a life on itself (like MS Word - happily replaced with OpenOffice :mrgreen: )...or if it is simply a matter of improving my handling of English language.

Janak Parekh
02-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Now Janak, here is something I see different from my previous WinXP installation: I used to have too many user accounts. Yes, there was one with my own name, ASP.net, AND the Administrator account.

I don't know at which moment I created the account with my name and was it assigned to be apart from the Admin account at that installation, since in my current one the account with my name is ALSO that one of the System Administrator.
XP in a standalone install automatically creates (at least) a second admin account under your name. And, you should not delete the Administrator account under any circumstances.

--janak

Prevost
02-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Well, still screensavers do not start, but WINDOWS IS SELECTING USERNAME AUTOMATICALLY NOW! :wink:

So far so good...