View Full Version : Push Email: Not Delayed, Merely OEM'd

Jonathon Watkins
02-08-2006, 04:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonlan/archive/2006/01/19/514981.aspx' target='_blank'>http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonlan/arch.../19/514981.aspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"I'm currently receiving lots of email generated mainly by some sites claiming that there are delays in our Push Email solution. This is total nonsense - there are no delays. AKU 2.0 has already been provided to device manufacturers and already the first device has appeared containing AKU 2.0. Unfortunately it isn't in Europe but in Taiwan. . . We create the underlying operating system and then device manufacturers integrate their drivers and then test it on Mobile Operator networks. Typically when we provide updates to our mobile platform in can take anywhere between 3-6 months for devices to appear on the market once the network testing and integration has been performed."</i><br /><br />Jason Langridge from Microsoft' Mobile and Embedded Devices Division is obviously getting a lot of questions about push email, Pocket PCs and AKU 2.0. So often it seems that waiting for these kinds of updates to arrive from the OEMs is like <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiting_For_Godot">Waiting for Godot</a> i.e. they never appear. But hey, I'm sure the OEMs will release new ROM versions with AKU 2.0 for all the WM5 devices already sold this time round. After all, they want to protect their relationship with you regarding the investment you made in their shiny new device. Right? :?

exchguy
02-08-2006, 06:02 AM
MSFP/AKU 2.0 has supposedly been with OEMs since November of 2005. It is now almost mid-Feb. Some rumors have said that there have been issues with testing of the AKU 2.0 that have resulted in memory leaks and that has caused OEMs to push back the code to MS to fix the leaks. Who knows if that is true, but nobody has seen anything on the MSFP release yet so the verdict is still out I think.

mpaque
02-08-2006, 02:01 PM
I think it's pretty weak that MS is blaming this delay on the OEM's. It seems pretty arrogant of MS to say "hey, we built the thing, blame it on the OEM's because they haven't released it yet." Come on MS put some heat on the OEM's to get this update in the hands of the users. Stop making excuses and get this stiuation resolved!! :evil:

buzz1317
02-08-2006, 02:22 PM
This is the biggest farce I have ever seen. I guess it is no suprise that it includes Microsoft. If they were so focused on making a run at RIM they would WORK TOGETHER to get this technology into the hands of the users. The way I see it it goes to the OEM's who then have to give it to the CARRIERs who then have to make a decision to upgrade or just start selling the devices with this feature.
And we all know how many upgrades and updates you see for devices from a carrier in the US.
I wish they would get it together as I personally am getting tired of hearing about this VAPORWARE!

Ed Hansberry
02-08-2006, 02:51 PM
They must be taking heat for this. This is the 2nd time Jason has blogged about there being no delay. http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonlan/archive/2005/12/19/505653.aspx

Phillip Dyson
02-08-2006, 02:58 PM
While I agree with most sentiments about MS' OEM distribution model, I find some of the reasons for complaint a bit ironic.

We've all been guilty of impatience when it comes to getting our hands on new software and hardware. But we are also the same people who complain when we get them and they're half-baked.

Lets put the whole "not releasing an update at all" topic on the side for a moment. The irony is that we complain about how slow OEMs (especially carriers) take to release and update when more times then not its about quality assurance.

OEMs want to make sure that their current devices can still operate. They want to make sure that these changes wont become a burden to the network. And I'm sure there a host of other things on their checklists. Some which benefit consumers, and most definitely many for their own self interests.

I don't want MS applying heat to a OEM to push out an update that has a high probability to render my phone a dud. Just keep in mind that its not just about one phone on the network. Anyone in software knows that there are many scenarios to consider. Load to simulate.

I don't know much about the architecture of MS' new push email strategy, but would guess that MSFP has more potential to bring networks down than any other update. Just speculating of course.

If a carrier has already decided to release an given update, then what benefit is it to them to drag out the whole process unnecessarily. If anything a longer process is more costly.

Just my $.02

barky81
02-08-2006, 05:14 PM
They must be taking heat for this. This is the 2nd time Jason has blogged about there being no delay. http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonlan/archive/2005/12/19/505653.aspx

Actually, he's blogged about it more than that. But my favorite is this one (emphasis added):

"So how do I get this Direct Push working?

For customers who are on Exchange 2003 it's really simple - you just need an Exchange 2003 Front End Server with the Mobile Services enabled running Exchange 2003 Service Pack 2 (you don't need to upgrade all backend mailbox servers) and a device running Windows Mobile 5.0 with MSFP. Those devices will be available later this year - around the same time as Service Pack 2 is scheduled to be released (Second half of 2005)"

Yes, that is what Jason posted LAST AUGUST (http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonlan/archive/2005/08/22/454717.aspx)!

And yet, now he keeps claiming it is not delayed. People will say anything, apparently.

barky81
02-08-2006, 05:18 PM
I don't know much about the architecture of MS' new push email strategy, but would guess that MSFP has more potential to bring networks down than any other update. Just speculating of course.

That is apparently only true if you are using WM5 for the Push Email. But it would seem that Symbian phones can utilize MS' new push email strategy without the same danger!?!?!?

msafi
02-08-2006, 07:44 PM
AKU2 test ROM for HTC Wizard is out. Check out howardforums.com pocketpc seciton.

Phillip Dyson
02-09-2006, 03:15 PM

That is apparently only true if you are using WM5 for the Push Email. But it would seem that Symbian phones can utilize MS' new push email strategy without the same danger!?!?!?

I assume you're referring to the devices that just appeared on the front page. If I remember correctly, I don't think the article listed which carriers have agreed to pick them up yet. Even if it did, you can bet each carrier will put them through the paces before actually releasing them.

IMO I think that an update is more tricky, because your customer already has a working device. You don't want those "customer services" calls. Plus look at the troubles with the Axim x50v upgrade versus the x51v. Just from what I've heard, the x51v is currently operating smoother.

I agree that the carriers can be greedy, but they're also very conservative.

As to the architecture, I was refering to the http connection that Exchange supposedly will maintain with the device. Anyway I think thats what I read. I'm certainly open for correction on that.

Again, I don't want my phone, of all things turned into a paper weight anymore than Cingular wants a few thousand devices turning the network into total gridlock.

Like I said, I'm chomping at the bit for the MSFP like everyone else, but remember the old adage: "Be careful what you wish for."

martin_ayton
02-09-2006, 07:33 PM
I can see that for the carriers, it's a difficult trade-off, though one wonders how carriers manage in those places in the world where carriers do not supply or control the supply of handsets. I accept that that eliminates the support-call issue, but not the network gridlock problem... or perhaps network gridlock is an unrealistic fear...

In any case, it is costing them a teeny, tiny (in their terms) bit of (my) money: I will not be upgrading from my Xda2s until:

1) The MSFP is out on general release and proved (by the braver souls here) to actually work.

2) There is a reliable, tested, back-up solution for any WM5 / MSFP enabled unit I might buy, from a software company which is proven to be able and willing to support its customers. That backup will also need to be able to restore across ROM versions in (the very likely) instance I will have to upgrade the ROM.

I like new toys. But most of all, I like them to work.

barky81
02-09-2006, 07:40 PM

I assume you're referring to the devices that just appeared on the front page. If I remember correctly, I don't think the article listed which carriers have agreed to pick them up yet. Even if it did, you can bet each carrier will put them through the paces before actually releasing them....

Yes, well don't worry yourself over the occasional link is a post, okay.

I was actually referring to the THIRD-PARTY software that DataViz has already released that can be installed on pre-existing Symbian phones and that DOES support "MS' new push email strategy", as you put it.

So, NO, I was not referring to devices that Carriers need to test; rather I was referring to the fact that owners of widely released Symbian phones can download and run DataViz's software to support Direct Push TODAY--without "Carrier Testing".