View Full Version : PDA phones without camera's (or how to disable)

hey-zeus
02-08-2006, 01:23 AM
Hey everyone,

Got a 'hopeful' question and am hoping for some suggestions or ways around this issue.

I work in a security concious environment where there has been a global ban within the organisation on unauthorised camera's which includes phones and PDA's with cameras.

I am working on suggestions on ways to get around this issue which I can put forward to my management to try to allow me to use my O2 mini. I was wondering if anyone had the same issue or whether they have come to some acceptable intermediate on the issue.

So far:
1) I have looked for a PDA phone without a camera - this I have found almost impossible. I also want it with a keyboard and wifi. This was hopeful I know but I haven't found a phone PDA yet without a camera in the first place.
2) Try to disable the camera - not sure if anyone has managed to do this for an O2 or even a similar PDA with a camera. I have heard that one of our management managed to remove the camera part on the phone. I have also heard of people damaging there lens (which I don't like the idea of). Was wondering if anyone has been able to remove there camera from their phone. I looked at the O2 but I was unable to remove the back where the camera was.

Luckily I had an old PDA so I have had to go to that but I really think the future is PDA and phone as it cuts back on that one extra thing I have to carry.

ANy suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

HZ

ark19
02-26-2006, 04:35 PM
Hi,
Basically I'm in the same situation as you.
I'd even checked with the security dept if I can get a Treo and remove the camera myself. But they still don't allow it.
I gave up and got a iPaq RX1950, and continued to use my HP....

Anyways, found out that Trendsmobile do sell Eten M600 with the camera removed (after I got the RX1950)
http://www.trendsmobile.com/main/showdetails.asp?ProductType=Handphones&ProductID=99385

Check with ur security guys first :wink:
Goodluck :roll: [/url]

Covert
03-01-2006, 05:37 AM
I believe Cingular is offering the 8100 without a camera. Check the business portion of their site.

jimfee
03-02-2006, 06:34 PM
I recently used two non camera PPC Phones the HP 6510 and the 8100 from cingular.

The HP went back because the microphone failed and also because I couldn't trade screen pixels for the integrated keyboard, my fingers couldn't hit those keys.

I had to get the 8100 from the B2B site like the previous posted said, luckily my employer (who restricts the use of camera phones) had access to the site.

Jim

advantagex
03-06-2006, 06:02 PM
I have the blackberry 7105t, absolutely love the device. I never have to worry about the screen being scratched, one hand use, and very secure. No camera. I highly recommend a blackberry.

hey-zeus
03-13-2006, 05:20 AM
Hey guys,

Been awhile since I checked the thread so thanks for responding.

I even tried to place a cover over the lense of my 02 mini. My mate had tried this so with his help we were able to remove the cover of the back (just be very careful) and something to cover the lens.

While this worked, my work would not accept the modification saying they needed some written guarentee???? Not sure how many companies there are that purposely disable camera's but maybe there is market for them now. I can reverse the change so not a big issue for me (that was probably also an issue for them).

Currently, I have gone back to my old 4150 and regular phone and have to do the sim swap and re-sync which is a pain.

I am looking at HP HW6510 so some good feedback but I have not seen it available in my region (Australia).

If anyone sees any other good PDA's (minus camera but with wifi and thumboard - fat chance), drop me a line.

HZ

hey-zeus
03-13-2006, 05:22 AM
Almost forgot about the Blackberry but am wanting to stick with PPC as have a heap of apps. Not sure about the 8100 but will have to look into it.

Thanks again.