View Full Version : New HX4700 - Can't seem to send mail, but I recieve it okay

tauntonian
02-07-2006, 08:59 PM
I just purchased a HX4700 and I am new to the Pocket PC. I set up my email account as per the instructions given. My ISP is COMCAST and I set the account exactly like I did on my PC(MS OUTLOOK 2003) and notebook(also WiFi). It seems to log on okay and downloads my email fine, but I always get a message "Can't send email" and to check my emails settings and to ensure I have a good connection( I do, my unit is only a few feet from my wireless router). Any ideas?[/img]

DrQuincy
02-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Howdy!

Your ability to send depends on your Internet connection. When I send via my mobile phone, I must use my cell provider's server, but when I send via my home WiFi, I must use my cable modem provider's server. Note that neither of these servers is the same as that of my email provider. Your SMTP server on the WiFi connection may require you to use their server, or may require a username and password. You will have to find out from the provider which is the case.

tauntonian
02-08-2006, 01:13 AM
Howdy DrQuincy - I am writting to my ISP to see if there would be a difference between my Notebook(WiFi, using the same account) and my HX4700. I'll will post their reply. Comcast sometimes can be slow moving.

DrQuincy
02-08-2006, 01:47 AM
Hmm... If you can access the SMTP server via your laptop, then your iPAQ should be able to do so. Can your iPAQ access the Internet via WiFi?

I am no expert, so only two reasons come to mind. Either there is some nuance in the settings that differ between your two devices, or your access point only permits access to one device via WiFi. I use Flexmail by WebIS (www.webis.net) for my email. They offer a free download, and it might be interesting to see if you can send using a different application than the default Messaging. I hope that Comcast has a solution for you!

nitestrike
02-08-2006, 02:42 AM
I reviewed what Comcast settings were for e-mail, and it would appear with PocketOutlook or other e-mail clients for the PC are pretty straight forward.

Comcast PPC 2002 e-mail settings (http://www.comcast.com/Support/Corp1/FAQ/FaqDetail_2346.html)

At first it sounded like you needed to log into the SMTP server to send (this still might be needed if you use another form of access other than your Comcast Broadband connection). I did see one item that would be different, and that was making sure to enter the Domain Comcast.net on the setting screen where you enter the e-mail servers. Make sure to enter it exactly like they have it in the setup instructions

I'll see if I can find any other anomalies and let me know how this goes.

nitestrike
02-08-2006, 04:12 AM
I have verified that when accessing your e-mail outside the Comcast network would need to have SMTP Authentication setup, and would be a good idea to have setup. Here are the steps from the screen where you enter the e-mail servers and the Domain.

Click the "Options" button
Click the "Next" button
Verify that you have "outgoing mail requires authentication" checked
Click the "Next" and then "Finish"
Now try sending an e-mail

tauntonian
02-08-2006, 05:45 AM
Nitestrike - yes sir ... it worked like a champ. Thank you for help. I beginning to really like this Pocket PC. I think it may replace my notebok completely. Thanks again! :D

nitestrike
02-08-2006, 08:51 AM
Hey not a problem and welcome to PocketPC Thoughts. Glad to have been of help, I use my 4700 often. I'm still contemplating the HP WindowsMobile 5 (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/en/sm/pocketpc/MS5.0_upgrade.html) upgrade that is supposed to available March 1st.