View Full Version : Moving ripped audio from my laptop to the SD card on my Pocket PC

Don Tolson
02-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Hi guys... I've ripped a couple of albums from CDs I own (and are fairly old) to disk on my laptop using WM10. Now, I want to transfer copies of those albums to the SD card on my Pocket PC, so I can listen to them there.

I open up Activesync's Explorer, then attempt to move the folders out of 'My Music' on the laptop to the My Music folder on the SD card on the Pocket PC via 'drag and drop' and get errors when it tries to copy the Thumbs.db files. I tried temporarily moving the thumbs.db file out of the folder, but still no go. I then tried just copying just one of the music files (.wma) themselves, and that seemed to work, but that doesn't create the folder structure needed on the Pocket PC ( Artist/Album)

So, am I hitting some DRM-like thingy, or do I need to create the folder struture on the Pocket PC, then individually copy over the music and album art?

Thanks for your help.

Nurhisham Hussein
02-07-2006, 02:12 AM
Try a card reader? Especially for bulk transfers, it's waaay faster, and less hassle.

Darius Wey
02-07-2006, 02:58 AM
When ripping the tracks, did you copy protect the files? You can check this by opening Windows Media Player, and selecting Tools > Options > Rip Music > Copy Protect Music. If the box is ticked, it means they're crippled with license requirements. So, you can play the tracks on the computer, and synchronise them to select devices, but it may bomb out under a standard copy/paste. You may want to re-rip the tracks.

Above all that, I would also suggest a card reader. While you may still be able to transfer it over ActiveSync, a card reader would offer much faster transfer rates.

Also, if you wish to get your album art working, you can follow this guide. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,44243)