View Full Version : Looking to replace my iPAQ rx3115...

bdc
02-05-2006, 05:11 AM
I'm a college student. I recently purchased a rx3115 which has turned out to be a major mistake. :( I love it's capabilities...mp3, dvd, etc, but hate it won't upgrade to Windows 5.0. Plus my laptop is the biggest piece of crap(btw why what should I expect it's an old eMachine!!) and won't run WMP 9. So I can't even use the capabilities I'd love to use. Also my college's internet sucks and takes forever to download upgrades. That said I need some help in picking out a new one. I'm reselling my rx3115 and hoping to make back the $200 I wasted on it. :cry:
I loved the capabilites of the rx3115...bluetooth wireless, mp3 player, dvd, but I also want to be able to use Compact Flash. I'm looking at spending around a little over $300 and if I'm lucky again finding it on Ebay. Been looking at the rx1955, but it doesn't have a CF slot. Please respond and thanks for ALL advice :werenotworthy:

Brian :D

Pdaholic
02-05-2006, 06:45 AM
Have you used WM5.0? It's not the holy grail, and on my Jasjar it is s-l-o-w. The only benefit I see is it keeps all my data safe in case of battery failure, that's all. Not worth it, imo.

Why do you have to have WMP9 to play music or DVDs on your iPaq? Here's my advice. Keep the rx3115, and save the cash to buy a big 2gb sd card (120 bucks if you shop right) and an sd card reader (what, 10 bucks?). Transfer your videos and mp3s to the card and play them back with TCPMP (free).

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you, but I don't see what you would gain with another PDA--except for the CF card slot, not worth spending another $300!

bdc
02-05-2006, 06:56 AM
the NevoPlayer won't work with WMP 10 and I've tried downloading the Upgrade, but my college's internet is so slow that I can't download it. :( Also the reason for buying a new one is paritally because I feel like I got ripped off. I had never bought one before didn't do as much research and paid $200 on ebay for something I could've gotten for $150. So I'm looking to upgrade, but also to add. The rx3115 isn't compatiable with my laptop...huge issue.

Pdaholic
02-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Ahh, to be a college student again. I'm glad I didn't know what PDAs were when I was in college, or I'd be in the same predicament as you. I typed up my college reports on an old Commodore 64, how's that for scrimping?

Anyway, I can't think of a PDA that is new with the features you want for the price you want. Dell has several Axims that are high quality and have CF slots, and would fit in your price range. They aren't upgradeable to WM5.0 though. Here's a link:
http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:RF5R2Y4Vt_EJ:www.aximsite.com/x30review/+dell+axim+with+cf+slot&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

The Ipaq HX4700 is supposedly upgradeable to WM5.0, and you *may* be able to find one in your price range. Bottomline, if WM5.0 is most important, you're gonna have to wait till prices come down.

I would also recommend looking at devices with a keyboard, as they are better at data entry--my fav is the iPaq 4350 series. No CF and has WM2003, but it's the most stable PDA I've ever owned, and it remains my workhorse for about 2-3 years now.

Let us know what you get.

Edit: the link I gave you above is for an Axim 30 which does not have a CF slot. Most of the others do, including the 50 series which does have a slot, and is upgradeable to wm5.0 (but may be out of your price range). Check around on the various Axims, I have a feeling they will meet your needs.