View Full Version : ActiveSync Problems?

kndlewis
02-04-2006, 06:13 PM
One day out of the blue a couple of months ago, I got a 'USB Device not recognized' message when I plugged in my iPaq. :cry:
The only thing I could think of was some software that I installed the day before so I uninstalled it. Still had the same error message.
I uninstalled AS 3.8 and reinstalled. Still had the same error message.
I tried a hard reset. Still had the same error message.
Tried a new cable. Still had the same error message.
I restored my PC to a recent backup image. Still had the error message.
Unable to find anything on various web sites, and getting desparate for syncing, I set up my 4700 to sync via wireless.
OK, now I'm syncing again but still unable to connect via cable.
Well, yesterday I found the problem! The circuit board that the cable (or dock) plugs into is broken on one end and at least one trace (pin) is broken off!
I guess that means I won't be upgrading to WM5 next month, as I cannot sync via cable.

Janak Parekh
02-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Yeah, that would do it. :( However, the 4700 is a recent unit; is yours still under warranty? If so, I'd send it back to HP.

--janak

kndlewis
02-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Thanks for that thought, janak. I don't view this as a manufacture defect. I wear my PDA on my belt in an industrial environment. It does get bumped. I probably should have an aluminum or magnesium case. I do have a SENA case that I love but it offers only minimal protection under the conditions I subject it to on a daily basis.
So to be brutally honest, it's my fault. :oops:

Janak Parekh
02-06-2006, 05:09 PM
So to be brutally honest, it's my fault. :oops:
OK - I'll trust you to know the environment you're using it in. It is possible, at times, to get warranty repair on such things, although HP may notice dust accumulation inside and demand a repair fee... and it's probably a little questionable ethically.

--janak

PetiteFlower
02-07-2006, 02:12 AM
My roommate is a cell phone repairman; he works for Nextel. It may not be the same with HP, but for his company any phone with broken connecter pins is always considered user damage and never covered under warrenty.

kndlewis
09-24-2006, 01:14 AM
After all this time, I sent my iPaq to PPCTechs for them to evaluate the connector problem. "No problem!" So, while it's there, go ahead and up the RAM to 128 whydoncha. "Well, if you do that, the connector repair is only $25!" :lol:
I'm glad I did it! Now the connector is fixed and I have a LOT of headroom in the program memory so I no longer have to do a soft reset just to run Textmaker. I had poor luck with Skype earlier this summer because of memory issues so now I'll be able to put that back on.
Since I decided to keep WM2003SE because of some favorite programs, the increased RAM is a plus!
By the way, the folks at PPCTechs were great. I was concerned about this repair because if they wouldn't be able to fix the connector, I couldn't go ahead with the RAM upgrade because I'd have no way of getting the ROM image back into the unit. So I called them and the tech I talked to was one step ahead of me. Of course they wouldn't do the RAM until the connector was fixed and he assured me he hasn't seen a connector for my model that they couldn't fix.

Janak Parekh
09-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Congratulations! PPCTechs is indeed top-notch, very professional, and I've heard nothing but good things from them. Best of luck with your iPAQ. :)