View Full Version : 2 - 3 Weeks More For MSFP From i-Mate - The Wait Continues

Jon Westfall
02-03-2006, 03:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.imateforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6&page=2' target='_blank'>http://www.imateforum.com/forums/sh....php?t=6&page=2</a><br /><br /></div><i>"I've been told its 2-3 weeks away. Apparently MS had to re-release some code due to technical issues, and now they're re-testing."</i><br /><br />Rumors have been flying about the pushback of the MSFP ROM releases from carriers, mostly attributing the delay to faulty code in the memory management of the device (i.e. leaks). While this (as one poster in the thread referenced suggested) may be just MS blaming the carriers and the carriers blaming MS, Russel (Admin at imateforum.com) has it on good authority that we're 2 - 3 weeks away. While it might be a month more than before, what's an extra month to get true Push email and Bluetooth audio? :roll: <br /><br />While 2 - 3 weeks is i-mate specific, I'd imagine other carriers are also on the same mid-february - early march time table.

KTamas
02-03-2006, 03:23 PM
The ironic thing is that AKU2 and push email is sort-of out in one of the leaked WM5 versions and works well, as far as I've read it.

Releasing MSFP to OEMs instead of end-users was a huge mistake from MS.

decebal
02-03-2006, 03:30 PM
The ironic thing is that AKU2 and push email is sort-of out in one of the leaked WM5 versions and works well, as far as I've read it.

where have you found the leaked one ?????

KTamas
02-03-2006, 03:32 PM

where have you found the leaked one ?????
It is for HTC Himalaya only and I'm not gonna link it, because I don't know if it is allowed, but with a little research you can find it...google is your friend.

Paragon
02-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Keep in mind that 2-3 weeks is "imate speak" for "we haven't got a clue." I wish I had a penny for every time I heard someone at iMate say 2-3 weeks. ;)

Dave

alex_kac
02-03-2006, 05:03 PM

Problem with AKU2 to release to end users is that its got a lot of under the hood driver changes and so it really requires that OEMs rework some of their drivers and core code. Its a huge update from AKU 1 and so its not something that could be made as an end-user app.

wshwe
02-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Microsoft shouldn't have released WM 5 until MSFP had been added. This is akin to the carriers selling Blackberries with BIS but without BES. There's no way I'm buying a WM 5 device unless MSFP is installed on it!

People looking for Blackberry alternatives will find that Treos and Windows Mobile smartphones don't come with true push email. They must turn to 3rd party solutions such as Chatter Email, Goodlink and Roadsync. :evil:

Paragon
02-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Microsoft shouldn't have released WM 5 until MSFP had been added. This is akin to the carriers selling Blackberries with BIS but without BES. There's no way I'm buying a WM 5 device unless MSFP is installed on it! :evil:

No way, dude. That would mean at least a 6 month delay in hardware releases, since WM5.0 devices hit the shelves the beginning of November, and OEMs would not even have it in their posession yet to begin building ROMs and testing, considering this latest news. I personally don't understand why you would choose no WM5.0 device at all opposed to having one that lacks one function which it will receive when completed???

Dave

wshwe
02-03-2006, 07:52 PM
I personally don't understand why you would choose no WM5.0 device at all opposed to having one that lacks one function which it will receive when completed???

DaveThere are no guarantees that either the manufacturer or carrier will release patches for devices already purchased. :cry:

Paragon
02-03-2006, 08:01 PM
I personally don't understand why you would choose no WM5.0 device at all opposed to having one that lacks one function which it will receive when completed???

DaveThere are no guarantees that either the manufacturer or carrier will release patches for devices already purchased. :cry:

AKU2 is a major update. It is very unlikely that many will choose not to do this update. Even so, for those that see receiving email 2-3 minutes earlier as being a must...just ebay the damn thing and buy a new one. ;)

Gex
02-03-2006, 10:42 PM
[quote="wshwe"][quote=Paragon] for those that see receiving email 2-3 minutes earlier as being a must...

The problem is that once you get accustomed to blackberry type email service (instant send/receive) it is hard to go back...

Coming from a company that has everyone using blackberry's we are putting off the purchase of any more 700w's until MSFP is on them because they are not meeting the primary expectations from our end users.

For us:
#1.. needs to work well as a phone.
#2.. email needs to instantly be received and sent
#3.. has to withstand abuse

The rest is nice to have but not critical. #3 is still in question with the 700w. The BB's go through hell and back but still work. Not so sure the 700w will be able to withstand the same level of abuse :)

wshwe
02-03-2006, 11:51 PM
You shouldn't have to buy a new device to use a feature touted when WM 5 was released.

Paragon
02-04-2006, 12:01 AM
You shouldn't have to buy a new device to use a feature touted when WM 5 was released.

You don't...hence the subject of this thread. That's not to say that Microsoft hasn't lead us all down the garden path on exactly when it was going to be available. I think most of us thought that it would be included in WM5.0 devices when they were first released. :devilboy:

Dave

bnycastro
02-07-2006, 02:21 AM
Well atleast i-mate has a time frame... dopod has no time frame [they say they are testing it]... :roll: