View Full Version : as4.1 and xv6700

harlie
02-01-2006, 07:25 AM
Hi,
need help on as4.1 and xv6700, as4.1 does not detect xv6700 using USB.
I have and trying to retire an HP jornada 568 (for 4 years) that still work and connect OK to my PC using as4.1 (was using as3.8 before update).
have disable zone alarm and deleted partnership and still can not detect.
PC running WinXP Pro w/ SP2, MS Office2003 and NAV2002 (tried disabled NAV - same).
Have tried to read thru different threads here and at howardforum and did not find answer yet.
Thanks in advance,
harlie

harlie
02-01-2006, 04:03 PM
hi folk,
bump
does anybody esle had or gone thru this?
can somebody point me to other threads or links?
HELP!!!
thanks
harlie

kaps
02-03-2006, 07:48 AM
I had the same trouble, take it out of the cradle and plug the USB cable directly into the phone. It should work perfectly.

BTW, this is a GREAT phone, I traded my i730 in for this gem and never looked back.

Karl

Janak Parekh
02-03-2006, 04:44 PM
I had the same trouble, take it out of the cradle and plug the USB cable directly into the phone. It should work perfectly.
Right - if the device is not detected at all, this is the first thing to do. If you're getting a specific error message, let us know what it is.

--janak

harlie
02-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Hi Karl and Janak,
I was starting to loose hope, thanks for your replys. Please bear with me, I'm really "new" at this.
I tried direct USB connection from PC to xv6700 and my PC see new device and says it is ready for use. I also get a network icon is system (this true even with use of cradle) and it is "trying to acquire network info or something like that (my brain start to fade around midnight).
When I use AS4.1 to detect xv6700, I get message saying "my device was not detected". I don't think it is the xv6700 or my PC because they seem to some what "connect".
I made sure that USB connection was selected on AS4.1 setting and that windows xp pro sp2 firewall, zone alarm (freebie) and norton anti-virus 2002 was off at that time.
I provably should mention that I had an HP Jornada 568 and using AS3.8 before this "upgade" that worked for years without a problem. I have uninstall AS3.8, deleted the partnership with 568 and rebooted my PC before installing AS4.1 (downloaded from MS site). I also tried "soft reset" on xv6700.
I'm not sure if USB version 1 would make any difference as it worked with AS3.8 and 568 just fine.
I have looked at other post mostly PPC6700 (i guess from sprint) and most seem to not have this connection issue.
I hope I provided enough info here to aid in solving this nightmare of mine,since I can only work on it at night after work.
Thanks again in advance for taking the time in helping me out.
Arlie A.

harlie
02-04-2006, 12:03 AM
need recommendation on which bt headset to use - optimized for xv6700, prefferably use with voce command, oh yah which voce command - MS or other? any in stereo? what to watch out for? issuses?
thanks in advance.
arlie

bmac
02-04-2006, 05:13 PM

BTW, this is a GREAT phone, I traded my i730 in for this gem and never looked back.

Karl

In my case this does not help (see other post ActiveSync and XV4100). What did help, with an earlier issue, is to make sure that the USB is not plugged into a USB Hub. For some reason AS 4.1 needs to be directly plugged into the PC (AS 3.8 did not have this issue).

Bill

harlie
02-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Bill,
thanks for the info.
In my case i have usb cable connected straight into usb port on pc and xv6700.
my pc have 4 usb port on the back and when i check device manager, pc have built in usb hubs.
does it matter which usb port to use? if so then which one?
i have usb2 on another pc that did not make any diff. i still can not detect xv6700 with as4.1.
really frustrating.
thanks,
arlie

bmac
02-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Bill,
thanks for the info.
In my case i have usb cable connected straight into usb port on pc and xv6700.
my pc have 4 usb port on the back and when i check device manager, pc have built in usb hubs.
does it matter which usb port to use? if so then which one?
i have usb2 on another pc that did not make any diff. i still can not detect xv6700 with as4.1.
really frustrating.
thanks,
arlie

If you have more than one set of USB ports on your PC (front/back) I would switch the connection to see if that helps. Other than that, I, too, would be at a loss of what to do next other than to use clear storage and start over.

Bill

harlie
02-04-2006, 05:34 PM

Karl

love the phone, nice camera, now just need the pda part to play along...

arlie

harlie
02-04-2006, 06:40 PM
If you have more than one set of USB ports on your PC (front/back) I would switch the connection to see if that helps. Other than that, I, too, would be at a loss of what to do next other than to use clear storage and start over.

Bill

I only have 4 usb port all at the back and have tried all at one time or another.
I'm starting to think it's the xv6700, but the network icon seems to indicate that there is something connecting between my pc and xv6700.
Thanks any way,
Arlie

harlie
02-06-2006, 06:25 PM
finally got the as4.1 to detect xv6700, had to delete old partnership, unisntall old as3.8, clean registry with RegVac (thanks to Rex), here's what really took care of the problem - uninstall all USB device drivers in device manager - windows will reinstall on its own, reboot, disable antivirus, disabled firewall,install AS4.1 (not 4.0), connect device when prompted and only when prompted (MAKE SURE DEVICE IS ON), auto detect, set up sync parameter,re-enable firewall + antivirus and finally get some ice cold beer and take a break.
All this is after a soft and hard reset on the xv6700.
Thanks to all the nice folks who gave their time to help!
I hope this help some poor soul out there.
Arlie A.

Janak Parekh
02-07-2006, 10:58 PM
Er... wow. 8O Congratulations, you deserved to get that to work. Most people would have given up some time ago.

Now, where's the "I beat ActiveSync and lived to tell the tale" t-shirt? :lol:

--janak

harlie
02-08-2006, 07:27 AM
:D yah baby- git 'er done! give me my T-shirt!
NEXT!
- BT and Voice command! (any thing better than MS voice command since it won't work with BT headset? :( )
Thanks
Arlie

bmac
02-08-2006, 03:30 PM
:D yah baby- git 'er done! give me my T-shirt!
NEXT!
- BT and Voice command! (any thing better than MS voice command since it won't work with BT headset? :( )
Thanks
Arlie

I have been using voice command since it was first introduced. Even though it will not work through the Bluetooth headset, it still picks up my voice from quite a distance. Once a call is activated then the Bluetooth headset turns on. As far as I know, there is no other software out there that would compete with voice command.

Bill

harlie
02-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Bill,
Even though it will not work through the Bluetooth headset, it still picks up my voice from quite a distance. Once a call is activated then the Bluetooth headset turns on.
Hmmm... so we can still use BT Headset with voice command - thats good news :) .
If you don't mind me asking, does BT headset detect phone function and "starts up" on its own? How do you do it?
I don't have BT headset and still reading up on it - any recommendation?

Bill, thanks for sharing and sorry for my numerous questions

Arlie A.

bmac
02-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Bill,
Even though it will not work through the Bluetooth headset, it still picks up my voice from quite a distance. Once a call is activated then the Bluetooth headset turns on.
Hmmm... so we can still use BT Headset with voice command - thats good news :) .
If you don't mind me asking, does BT headset detect phone function and "starts up" on its own? How do you do it?
I don't have BT headset and still reading up on it - any recommendation?

Bill, thanks for sharing and sorry for my numerous questions

Arlie A.

Arlie,

I have the Motorola HS850 headset ($99.99 through Verizon) that will beep in your ear when a call is coming in. To accept the call you press the center button on the earpiece. When making a call, the headset turns on automatically when the call is dialed. It is quite convenient but I'm sure that other Bluetooth headsets work in the same fashion.

This headset will carry a charge for at least eight hours if not more – depending on the number of calls that you receive or make. The only time I charge it is at night. It came highly recommended by the manager of the Verizon store where I bought my phone (he had one on when I started talking to him about headsets).

Bill