View Full Version : Can I get Age of Empires onto my K-Jam?

Zukeus
01-29-2006, 03:39 PM
I have a new K-Jam with WM5. I would like to load Age of Empires. However, on the PocketGear site it show two versions: -
1. AoE PPC ARM/Xscale 1.25
2. AoE PPC MIPS 1.25

My processor is a TI OMAP 850

Do I have to wait for it to come out on this processor or will either of the above work?

whydidnt
01-29-2006, 04:38 PM
The OMAP is supposed to be an ARM processor, so you will want to use option 1 above. I haven't heard of any significant software issues with people wanting to run WM apps on the OMAP processor. Most of what I have seen is some issues with remote control software that interacts more closely with the hardware of the device.

Zukeus
01-29-2006, 04:46 PM
Thanks for that whydidnt. I shall give it a go.
Cheers hic!

The OMAP is supposed to be an ARM processor, so you will want to use option 1 above. I haven't heard of any significant software issues with people wanting to run WM apps on the OMAP processor. Most of what I have seen is some issues with remote control software that interacts more closely with the hardware of the device. :D

pocketpcadmirer
01-29-2006, 05:32 PM
Just to add. Most of the softwares written for the ARM/Xscale would work without problems on a device with OMAP processor(unless they are hard-coded for a specific processor).

Sunny

Guest979
01-29-2006, 06:38 PM
Yes, TI OMAP and Intel XScale are both brands of ARM compliant processors. But also, Microsoft essentially dropped support for all other processor types (for Windows Mobile) years ago, so basically all recent software had better have an ARM version. If a piece of software doesn't even specify a CPU architecture, it is probably safe to assume it is ARM (I would think the worst that could happen is it wouldn't work, anyway).

Zukeus
01-30-2006, 09:39 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies. That's great info to have for future purchases. Glad I joined this site.
Ta!

Yes, TI OMAP and Intel XScale are both brands of ARM compliant processors. But also, Microsoft essentially dropped support for all other processor types (for Windows Mobile) years ago, so basically all recent software had better have an ARM version. If a piece of software doesn't even specify a CPU architecture, it is probably safe to assume it is ARM (I would think the worst that could happen is it wouldn't work, anyway). :D

tigger8740
02-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Sweet! I love AoE and I had no idea that it was available for the Pocket PC! Guess what I'm doing now? :lol: