View Full Version : Software for Recording Phone Calls

Richard76
01-27-2006, 09:12 PM
I was reading about software that is available for Palm OS called mVoice, which will record both parties on a phone call when using a Treo. Does anyone know of something like this that will work with WM5?

I currently have a digital voice recorder mounted on my dashboard so if I have to make a note of something I just repeat what the caller says. It would be much easier just to record directly to my Wizard if I could find software that would record both sides of the conversation.

Don Tolson
01-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Careful...in some jurisdictions, recording a phone call without notifying and gaining consent of the other party is illegal.

Sven Johannsen
01-27-2006, 10:06 PM
I was under the impression it was OK as long as one party agreed...and if I am one of the parties...I agree to my recording it ;) Thought I'd scout around a bit though. Here's a good synopsis for US folks.
http://www.callcorder.com/phone-recording-law-america.htm

Didn't dig for Canada, but I'm sure the info is out there.

P.S. noticed that Canada, Australia and UK have links near the top.

Richard76
01-27-2006, 10:07 PM
So is speeding...(lol).

You know, I thought long and hard before posting my question. I figured that at least 6 out of 10 replies would have to do with the legalities of recording a conversation. I have heard this argument at least 100 times before but I have never seen any facts to back it up.

I do know that anything recorded without consent is inadmissable as evidence, but then again, I don't plan on taking my recorded directions, addresses or phone numbers to a trial.

And, even if it is illegal in some jurisdictions, it would be like trying to bust your buddy's Friday night poker game or arresting someone because they lost 20 bucks on the Super Bowl.

I am just interested in a product that will make my life easier and safer as I spend a lot of time behind the wheel!

Richard76
01-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Thank you Sven. I didn't see your post before I posted the above but this is the first time I have seen information regarding the illegalities if recording, albeit in the USA.

Again, I am not concerned with whether it is legal, moral or ethical. I am interested in safety.

Sven Johannsen
01-28-2006, 06:03 AM
And I didn't see yours before I posted mine and the edit noting there is a Canada link on the page. I understand your desires, and it makes sense. Thing is if the use of the software/capability would be questionably legal, it might be harder to find a source for it.

Richard76
01-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Possibly, yes. But that is why I was encouraged when I read about mVoice software for the Treo. I figured that someone must have come up with the same idea for WM.

The only drawback with the mVoice software is that it will not record both parties when you are using a bluetooth headset. Which seems sill to me bacause again, the reason we use a bluetooth headset in the car is for safety reasons.

Anyway, hopefully someone is reading this that knows of a solution.

Thanks.