View Full Version : How do you get to work?

Don Tolson
01-25-2006, 07:41 PM
In honor of achieving 10,000 km of bike commuting yesterday (20 km return each day), I was interested to see how other PPCT'ers get themselves to work in the morning.

Biking for me has become a habit -- 3 to 4 times a week, with the use of the car/van only when absolutely necessary because of travel during the day, or the need to pick up the kids from school for some activity/sports/etc.

I guess I'm blessed here on the West Coast with being able to bike the whole year round. Temps here rarely go below freezing, and we've only had one day of snow, back in November.

Sven Johannsen
01-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Is that 20Km total or one way? I've been to Victoria. Pretty place. Not too hilly though. I'm 20Km from work one way and 1500' (457m) of elevation change. Most of it in half that distance. I do ride a bike as much as I can but it is a moterbike ;)

Congrats on the cumulative mileage (kilometerage?).

hamishmacdonald
01-25-2006, 10:27 PM
Roll out of bed.

Sometimes pack a bag and go to the library, when I really need to concentrate.

I just need to produce; nobody cares how.

It's a nice life, and I'm very grateful.

Don Tolson
01-26-2006, 01:26 AM
Is that 20Km total or one way? I've been to Victoria. Pretty place. Not too hilly though. I'm 20Km from work one way and 1500' (457m) of elevation change. Most of it in half that distance. I do ride a bike as much as I can but it is a moterbike ;)

Congrats on the cumulative mileage (kilometerage?).

It's 10km each way (about) so 20km return. Not much elevation change, but there are some significant hills. And one particularly nasty stretch on the way home with about 2km of 1 - 2 percent uphill grade, followed by 5 percent, followed by 9 percent into my home! (Sheesh it's tough coming back!)

Sven Johannsen
01-26-2006, 03:34 AM
followed by 9 percent into my home! (Sheesh it's tough coming back!)
It's better that way. Nobody wants to struggle to get TO work. :wink:

20Km return doesn't mean anything to me. Sounds like once you get there it is 20Km to return. Here we would say 20Km round trip. It's fun to learn the different phrasing and idioms here.

Darius Wey
01-26-2006, 03:47 AM
Mine is roughly a 50km return trip (round trip). Because of that, I usually take the car.

Congrats on your achievement, Don. :)

i_spock
01-26-2006, 08:47 AM
I am a big proponent of biking to work. Madison is very bike-centric, and I used to have a 13-mile-each-way commute to work which I did for several years (while I had that job). The cool thing was that most of my commute was on bike paths. Ah, those golden days! Now I work far across the Ithsmus and my commute is way too long to bike (or maybe I'm just not hardcore enough) but I sure miss those days. Hopefully my next house will be close enough to work to allow me to bike again.

Congrats on your acheivement!

pocketpcadmirer
01-26-2006, 01:14 PM
I go to college(thats my work :wink: ) by metro(5 km).

I've my PPCPE with me and I cover the distance mainly listening to Linkin Park's songs. I love them

Sunny

Mark Kenepp
01-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Wow, I am a little surprised how many people drive.

I have a 15 minute walk to the Rapid Transit, a ten minute ride then another five to ten minutes walk to work (approximately 7km). Coming home is the reverse (obviously).

I do have multiple mass transit options which can pick me up/drop me off closer to home but overall, increase the commute time.

Sven Johannsen
01-26-2006, 06:53 PM
I do have multiple mass transit options which can pick me up/drop me off closer to home but overall, increase the commute time.

I lived in SF a long time ago. You could get pretty much from anywhere to anywhere using Public Transportation. Here it would be about an hour and a half walk to the nearest bus stop. Then over an hour on the bus, since they decided on a hub and spoke which makes me ride downtown to change buses to get back out of downtown. It's a 20-25 min drive, or ride. I have a choice of two bus times in the morning to make it to work on time and only one bus in the evening after work to catch the last transfer to get to the stop that is 1.5 hours from home, uphill. If I drove to the stop I'd be driving about half as far each day as just driving to work, and leaving the car in a mall parking lot all day. I envy those with a Public Transportation agency that knows what they are doing.