View Full Version : Can you watch Windows Media Center TV files on a PPC?

tregnier
01-25-2006, 02:07 PM
I have a Media Center PC and regularly record TV shows. Is there a way to translate and move these files to a storage card so that I can watch them on my Dell Axim 51v?

If so, what are the programs and steps? :?:

Thanks!

Don't Panic!
01-25-2006, 02:47 PM
USe WMP10 on your PC to transfer the files to your Mobile Device.

Sven Johannsen
01-25-2006, 04:42 PM
There is a sync tab on MP10 on the PC. With the Dell connected via AS it should recognize the device and let you select a flash card on the right. You might want to investigate the automatic sync options. You can set up an auto-list like recently recorded TV, or Recorded TV not yet watched. It will automatically translate and transfer those shows to the PPC when you select sync, or connect when MP is open. (If you select Media Sync in AS4, MP doesn't even have to be open.

You can of course just drag a single show over to the PPC using MP. You need to use MP to get the translation.

It will create a folder structure on the PPC flash card for music, video, TV in the root of the Flash card, depending on what yu sync. You access them using the library feature of Mobile Media Player 10 on the PPC, much like on the MCE desktop.

Note that for music at least, it will only sync the playlist if you use auto sync. If you just select the playlist and manually sync, it will get all the songs in that list, but not the list itself.

Keep in mind that this feature is really designed for Portable Media Players with big hard drives. Your PPC is a bit memory constrained.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken there is a sync to portable device option in the MCE interface itself.

JDTagish
02-11-2006, 08:46 AM
My TV to Go is also an option. You can purchase it at Handango. When you run it, it will automatically populate with the shows you have on your computer. Then you click on the show you wish to convert to a mobile format, and then click on convert, and it will automatically convert the MD-DVR file to a WMV file in a size much more compatible with a mobile device. You can choose from good, better or best, but even on best, the file size for a 1 hour program is about 90mb, rather than 3gig in the MS-DVR format. The whole process of conversion takes approximately the same run time as the program, but usually a bit less.

There are freeware converters out there, but you'd need several (1 to decode the ms-dvr file & one to reformat to a smaller file size, at a minimum) and the process can be quite lengthy, often an overnight.

Sven Johannsen
02-11-2006, 04:14 PM
My TV to Go.Is that the exact name. My TV to Go doesn't find anything, nor does My TV, and TV brings up tons, but not that.

JDTagish
02-11-2006, 05:05 PM
"MyTV toGo" is the exact name, I just searched for it to be sure. Sorry for the confusion!~

Link is Here (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&jid=FD4724CD22A8BE9326C444991F527646&platformId=2&N=96806&Ntt=mytvtogo&productId=157006&R=157006)

Sven Johannsen
02-12-2006, 03:36 AM
Thanks. Looks neat.