View Full Version : which one should I buy?

leebrendalee
01-25-2006, 06:43 AM
Hello----I am looking to buy a pocket pc with the largest viewest screen possible with wifi access, lots of memory, both card slots..sd, cf, and the best screen..(my eyesite suxs).........I want to be able to watch tv on it..while commuting to and from work, WHICH ONE SHOULD i BUY PLEASe..

OH..ONLY POCKET PC..NOT PALM

THANKS

Nurhisham Hussein
01-25-2006, 07:06 AM
Well if a big screen is your primary consideration, than there are only two candidates - the Toshiba e830 or the iPaq 47xx. Both have 4" VGA screens, two card slots and decent memory configurations.

pocketpcadmirer
01-25-2006, 07:16 AM
As hishamh said hx4700 is nice for your purpose, I would not recommend it to you till it receives the windows mobile 5 upgrade. You may consider Dell Axim X51V which has decent 3.8 inch display and has got VGA too. Its packed with both Wi-Fi and BT too

When it comes to memory, nothing beats it. Its has got the 256 MB(actual 195)MB of ROM(highest upto date). iPAQ hx4700 has 80 MB of ROM

Sunny

Nurhisham Hussein
01-25-2006, 07:31 AM
I'd hate to disagree but first the Dell has a 3.7" screen, not 3.8". Also I would not classify ROM as memory - to my mind that's storage. Neither the Dell nor the iPaq are actually really good in the RAM department. Having said that, from the uses you mentioned, either will do fine. The clincher is that the Dell is considerably cheaper. The Toshiba e830 has of course been discontinued, though you can still find it in retail at bargain prices.

pocketpcadmirer
01-25-2006, 08:01 AM
I'd hate to disagree but first the Dell has a 3.7" screen, not 3.8". Also I would not classify ROM as memory - to my mind that's storage. Neither the Dell nor the iPaq are actually really good in the RAM department. Having said that, from the uses you mentioned, either will do fine. The clincher is that the Dell is considerably cheaper. The Toshiba e830 has of course been discontinued, though you can still find it in retail at bargain prices.

Yes, I know its 3.7"(typo error :) )
About the ROM stuff, I would say, why not consider ROM as memory. It nice to have more ROM as it means you can put in more applications on the internal memory. This is nice when you swap cards and you have the applicaion on the card. In the X51V case, there would be a no problem because of the spacious ROM, you can install your favorite application in there. As you know, hx4700 uses Windows Mobile 2003 SE, so there the RAM is neccessary as app is both stored and run from there. In windows mobile 5 scenario, even 64 MB is big as it is used for execution purposes only :D

Sunny

leebrendalee
01-25-2006, 08:02 AM
While I was waiting for some replies here I continued my search for the best pda...I was leaning towards the dell 51v but here in canada it's expensive....and with all the extra's i would like or would wish for...it came to 1400 bucks..yes...1400 bucks...and that's not including tax...the basic unit is 600 bucks..
sooooooooooooooooooo
off I go for more research...thinking..dell can't be the only one's making decent pda's...and I think I'm just about sold on this one:

HP iPAQ hx2490
I found this one site that compared dell and hp and they found NOTHING wrong with the hp...nothing...the screen apparently is wayyy brighter than the dell..all other features are the same as the dell..excepttttttttt the hp is faster..go figure..for those wanting to read the review it is here and you can read the review on the dell..I'm impressed:

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ipaq-hx2490.htm

sooooooooooooooooo

My local Staples store has it in stock for 499.00...I think that's a great price and I need not buy a case because it has one....(and I have one at home)...........online at the hp site it costs way more and the only thing I'm really interested would be the hx2790 but I can't find anyone that carries it..perhaps for under 100bucks Staples will bring it in for me.

The memory on the 2490

192 MB total memory (128 MB ROM and 64 MB SDRAM); Up to 80 MB user available persistent storage memory

The memory on the 2790

256 MB total memory (192 MB ROM and 64 MB SDRAM); Up to 144 MB user available persistent storage memory

so I think the price is worth it.

Ok, anyone want to weigh in on my decision. It's 11pm here and by 7pm tomorrow..........I'd like to buy it...........

Goodnight and thanks for your replies....

pocketpcadmirer
01-25-2006, 08:10 AM
The screen of 2790 is 3.5" and of X51V, its 3.7"
Also, though the colors of X51V look a bit "washed-off", it offers VGA display as compared to QVGA display of 2790

Choice is yours

Sunny :D

leebrendalee
01-25-2006, 08:28 AM
good grief, such decisions. Here's the dell package in canada:

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/pda?c=ca&cs=CADHS1&l=en&s=dhs

for 600 bucks they are throwing in 512mgs ram...Is there that much difference between qvga and vga???? This sale ends thursday...... For the extra hundred bucks............that I would be paying for the dell..is it worth it?....although I get the 512mg card..........what in the world would you guys do?????????????????????????????

pocketpcadmirer
01-25-2006, 09:04 AM
for 600 bucks they are throwing in 512mgs ram...Is there that much difference between qvga and vga???? This sale ends thursday...... For the extra hundred bucks............that I would be paying for the dell..is it worth it?....although I get the 512mg card

Of course, yes the VGA is really great. You have to see it yourself by comparing the screens. Also, you will see the difference when you will be browsing the web and editing and viewing sheets.

**for the card, I would recommend you to go in for at least 1GB(if you want to use it for multimedia purposes)

Nurhisham Hussein
01-25-2006, 11:29 AM
Since you're really looking at playing media, VGA is worth it. Let me repeat that - VGA IS WORTH IT!

BTW, the 2790 has the same processor as the x51v - the main difference is that the VGA screen requires extra processing power. This doesn't have much of an effect on playing media on the x51v though, as it is one of the very few PDAs with a dedicated GPU.

leebrendalee
01-25-2006, 07:16 PM
I'm not trying to talk myself out of the Dell...it's just that I'm stuck on this. Here is a Pro/Con of both PDA"s.................this makes me think the Ipaq is better in some ways...Am I wrong?

DELL

Conclusion

As always, Dell offers an excellent machine at a relatively low price. The unit runs the fastest CPU and has a VGA display which will suite power users. It offers excellent expandability, dual wireless and lots of memory for storage. Your data is safe even if the battery runs down. Not only that, it's attractive and feels good in the hand.

Pro: Overall, a very good device. Attractive and ergonomic design, good price, VGA display, fast processor, both CF and SD slots with SDIO support for the SD slot, Bluetooth 1.2, WiFi 802.11b and VPN support.

Con: WM5's persistent storage architecture means that the device is a bit slower launching programs than older Pocket PCs. Standard battery capacity is lean: consider the extended battery. The screen isn't as nice or as large as the iPAQ hx4700 nor is current 2D graphics performance as good. But the Dell costs less and we may see driver improvements in the future. Device sometimes doesn't wake up when the power button is pressed, requiring a soft reset to reboot. Bluetooth profiles are limited.

IPAQ:

Conclusion

It's hard to find fault with this unit, and believe me, we have no trouble finding things to complain about. The device is very fast, has great graphics performance for video playback and gaming, Bluetooth, WiFi, good VNP support, SD and CF slots, SDIO support and a fantastic display. It compares favorably against the Dell Axim X50 520 MHz model with the same features and same list price, offering more full-featured Bluetooth software, a more durable casing and better display. Definitely a great device for the price. If you crave an even faster version and/or want biometric fingerprint security, consider the top of the line iPAQ hx2790 which also has 144 megs of flash ROM. The only thing holding back this 5 star-rated product from an Editor's Choice award is its lack of innovation over the model it replaces (hx2410) — maybe HP will live up to their Invent logo next time.

Pro: Fast, spacious flash memory, maximally expandable with Bluetooth, WiFi, SD and CF slots. Durable design, rubber grips help keep the unit safely in hand. Broadcom Bluetooth software is a great improvement over the basic Microsoft BT software. Flip cover is attractive, unobtrusive and protects the display and front controls well— you likely won't need a case. Relatively high capacity standard battery won't send you running for an AC outlet.

Con: Not much of a software bundle by HP standards.

pocketpcadmirer
01-25-2006, 07:34 PM
This is odd that the writer/reviewer hasnt mentioned anything about the lack of VGA on hx2790. Yes, thats a con,which should have been there.

There are happy users of both,but, as I said try a VGA pocket pc and then a QVGA and you will yourself see the difference. The crispiness, the clarity..ahhhh !!

leebrendalee
01-25-2006, 07:48 PM
yes this is what I am confused about. The writer clearly loves the display on this one:

The display is gorgeous, just as we noted in our last generation hx2750 review. The display is very, very bright (you'll likely not use it at full brightness), is extremely contrasty, color saturated and sharp. This is one of the best QVGA resolution displays we've seen on a Palm or Windows Mobile device. Given the device's strong performance in CPU and graphics, it makes an excellent gaming machine, despite its corporate targeting. We tested a large collection of games which ran well, and the small but usable direction pad worked well.

but YOUR RIGHT..he didn't say anything abouto VGA which is strange to say the least. I just wish I could see the difference between the two screens. One you can go into any retail store and see..the dell you have to order............I dunno.........I'm really up in the air between the two...I like the VGA on the Dell--but the speed is better on the Ipaq.....errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Nurhisham Hussein
01-26-2006, 02:32 AM
I'd imagine the lack of reference to VGA for the iPaq is really because VGA machines are really in a class of their own - apples and oranges.

Every VGA machine takes a speed hit because of the display, but this disadvantage is to me outweighed by the enormous benefits. I could never get full photos to display properly without pixelization on a QVGA device - on VGA that's not a problem. Web surfing, text editing, e-books - all benefit from the sharper display. Movies and video - woof!

leebrendalee
01-26-2006, 02:43 AM
Well I thank you for all your replies. I've spent the entire day inbetween calls at work (technical support calls)...looking at so many review of both products that if I ever read another review againnnnnnn.....HOLY SMOKES...what a lot of work...Upon reflection Dells new product is simply terrible....Yes the screen is beautiful..it's the best...everyone loved it...but oh the reports about the battery and the slow performance were dreadful....truly dreadful. Some people who never send in reviews actually sent them in for the x51v because it was that bad. If I read 100 reviews...and I did....80% were bad.....really bad...If I read one more review about returning the product..twice...I've read it at least 20 times.. So...I'll be stopping by Staples tonight.....if only to view what they have....if the screens are terrible..I will simply wait until Dell comes out with upgrades/patchs/etc...........because they have too..
with far too many complaints. And tech support..ROLOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF now that's funny...THERE IS NO TECH SUPPORT.........this was a joke all around with people...anyway..thanks for listening..it's been a real experience....will post back what I bought...as the reviews about the hp were MINOR compared to dell.

Nurhisham Hussein
01-26-2006, 02:51 AM
I thought I should add - as of this moment I wouldn't touch a WM5 machine with a ten foot barge pole. I seriously doubt any WM5 machine can outperform a WM2003SE machine speedwise, not to mention the many bugs and the odd jump in memory taken up.

Unfortunately, if you're looking for a new Windows Mobile machine, you really don't have much choice unless your willing to go for second-hand.

pocketpcadmirer
01-26-2006, 07:18 AM
I thought I should add - as of this moment I wouldn't touch a WM5 machine with a ten foot barge pole. I seriously doubt any WM5 machine can outperform a WM2003SE machine speedwise, not to mention the many bugs and the odd jump in memory taken up

Yes, you are right. But the benifits of WM5 just out-do the speed of WM2003/WM2003SE machines. With WM5, the biggest advantage is safety of data when your battery goes flat

Sunny

Nurhisham Hussein
01-26-2006, 08:05 AM
To me, that benefit is seriously overstated - with current LiIon battery technology, allowing your battery to go flat is a serious mistake, and absolutely kills battery health. The cutdown in loading speed I can probably live with, but not the ridiculously higher memory overhead. WM5 machines are already crippled with the 64MB every vendor seems to think is enough.

The improvements in Pocket Office are so minor as to be forgettable - none of the apps can hold a candle to Textmaker, Planmaker and Pocket Slides. And the strangling development and licensing model M$ is imposing on developers means that only the big boys can play - there goes the independent developer community.

pocketpcadmirer
01-26-2006, 01:05 PM
To me, that benefit is seriously overstated - with current LiIon battery technology, allowing your battery to go flat is a serious mistake, and absolutely kills battery health.

I disagree mate. Though I know that making the battery go flat has a serious impact on the battery. But, there are times when you want to use your phone to make a call and battery is very low. In that case, if I have a wm5 pda, I can assure myself that my data is safe, but, in case of wm2003 pda, I've to run for my home so that I dont loose my data.

My magician begins to behave erratically when the battery becomes <18%. When a call came in and it vibrated, it just soft-reset itself. Strange, but, true

Sunny

Nurhisham Hussein
01-26-2006, 02:26 PM
I think that's where we diverge - I don't find any PDA phone terribly compelling, so Ive always been a two device person. As a result, my battery level is almost never below 80% on any given day. As well I've got multiple charging options, from wall chargers to USB to an in car inverter.

leebrendalee
01-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Well I made it to Staples....at a big price of 499.99 I bought the hx2490..the only one they had in stock...my thoughts are as follows..
(now so far I'm comparing it to my Dell Axim 5)..

The size of the unit fits beautifully in ones hand..it's really a nice feel. The screen is excellent..clear and sharp......cannot compare to VGA as I've not see a VGA but having said that......my eyes don't know the difference..The screen is clearer than the A5 and the A5 is larger and I thought one of the better screens. But this 2490 is really nice.

Wireless: I turned on the wireless and it found my network and 5 others in the neighbourhood right away. Impressive...allthough....wireless is suppose to work this way. When I brought the unit upstairs to the bedroom, it however has trouble connecting to my network..so that doesn't impress me as I like to hop into bed and do my mail or whatever. I ended up connecting the neighbour which I don't care to do....So not sure what's going on there. I have my Dell which has a really no name brand wireless card in it and it's the only one that will connection three floors up. I went out and bought a linksys card (same as my wireless) a couple months ago and even that won't connect three floors down..what a waste of money....gotta get around to selling that....

Bluetooth: I won't prob use it...........

backup: WHERE THE HECK IS THE BACKUP ..i need my backup and it's not on the unit as default...wierddddddddddddd

I haven't got around to downloading activesyn.....I actually don't use it unless I"m installing programs, games,pics and stuff.....I don't use mail on my laptop ...only my own online email server which I just setup to grab wirelessly on the pocket pc....

So at this time...........I have 14 days to test the thing...not sure if I need to do anykind of upgrade although i want my backup program..I'll check the cd tonight...

leebrendalee
01-26-2006, 06:56 PM
Well here goes.ALREADY..ahhahah I'll be returning the unit..THERE IS NO BACKUP..ahhahahah this is the most important thing to me....to loose all of my contacts is a major thing to me and having a backup is the only way i can get out of a sticky situation..I mess up alot and want a unit with a backup...strange I read somewhere that dell doesn't include the backup in the x51v and that ipaq does.....man I'm reading too much...

pocketpcadmirer
01-26-2006, 07:07 PM
Since you have bought a WM5 machine, thats why the HP has not included a backup utility.
After a month or so, sprite would be releasing "sprite backup" for WM5,so dont panic !!

BTW, congrats on your new purchase

Sunny

leebrendalee
01-26-2006, 08:13 PM
cool thanks! Just went to sprites website and sure enough they are working on it. I just thought for now, I'll keep the backup on the Dell ..that will be my backup for now...

So with this new WM5 I am assuming all games and utilities will work with it? I'm interested in putting Java on there..wonder if I can... I just went over to dell again, looked at the price..314bucks for x51...and thought..hummmmmmmm..than I went to axim forum..oh my goodness....You couldn't pay me to buy one of those. Just this week people are still complaining badly......I can't understand what's going on with Dell. I can understand microsoft putting out a product before it's been fully tested..CAUSE THATS THEIR STUPID WAY..but Dell? I'm surprised. So many folks will never use dell again...they must have new marketing people or something...so I'll just stick with my little HP and be happy with it....I"m a little worried about the wireless part though...I'm at work and cannot connect...will try starbucks later..

sprite has a beta backup that seems to be working well..going to download it tonight and try it...

also: tried msn messenger last night..IT ROCKS...