View Full Version : Windows Media Player auto-sync playlists on WM2003SE?

heov
01-25-2006, 04:26 AM
So I have a WM5 device and when I connect it/have it synced, in WMP10 on my computer, the SD CARD and the DEVICE (name) show up as "devices" that can be syned. So i could easily pick a playlist ot auto sync and everytime my device was hooked up, it would auto sync the playlist (similar to my mp3 player).

However on my roommates 2410 (i have 2495), which runs WM2003 SE, it does NOT show up in the devices in WMP10 on the pc. Everything in terms of active sync is fine and all, and i can explore the device, but I can't figure out how to set it up to sync.

He's running 3.8, i'm running 4.1 for active sync, but other than that our laptops are almost identical in terms of software (i set them both up).

What's the deal? Am I missing something. If it's an ActiveSync 4 thing... well that woudl suck as AS4 doens't support wireless syncing.

Anyone got any ideas? at the moment i'm just pulling out the SD card and using a reader, but i'd prefer to simply use AS.

Thanks.

Nurhisham Hussein
01-25-2006, 04:49 AM
I'd imagine it's more a lack of WMP10 in WM2003SE.

Sven Johannsen
01-25-2006, 05:53 AM
I'd imagine it's more a lack of WMP10 in WM2003SE.
More like a lack of WMP10 on that device. WMP10 was provided on some WM2003SE devices including the Dell X50 and the SMT5600. Might take a look at HPs upgrades for that model. I thought that they had provided WMP10 for some of the later devices.

heov
01-25-2006, 07:06 AM
his device has wmp10 in rom.

my wm5 device has 10.1.

however, i mean comeon, this is a windows device. how could MS not have a way to sync songs pre-WM5? i oculd have sworn i did this w/ my old PPC or PPC2k2 device.

pocketpcadmirer
01-25-2006, 07:23 AM
Thats strange because my HTC Magician(which uses 2003SE) is recognised by my WMP on desktop.

Sunny

heov
01-25-2006, 08:15 AM
are you using as3.8 or 4+?

I just reinstalled WMP10 and AS3.8, with no luck :(.

Before on this computer, I had AS4.1 and a WM5 device and everythign was cool.

We then uninstalled AS4.1. Installed 3.8 for PPC2k3 (since it has network sync). And everything was cool, just that now WMP10 doesn't recoginze the PPC :(

EDIT:
just read MS's faq and it says you just need as 3.7.1, and everything should work as expected.

is it because i'm network syncing? i don't have a USB cable handy to test it anytime soon. When i network sync, I let it "stay connected," so it doen'st disconnect.

weird.

Sven Johannsen
01-25-2006, 05:04 PM
is it because i'm network syncing? i don't have a USB cable handy to test it anytime soon. When i network sync, I let it "stay connected," so it doen'st disconnect.

weird.

That's absolutely it. WMP sync doesn't work on anything but a direct connection, not BT, not WiFi. (of course WiFi AS connection doesn't work in AS 4 anyway) Doesn't keep you from copying songs to the flash card using AS, but MP isn't going to see a wireless connected device. never has.

IIRC, pre MP10, PPC or desktop,you could 'sync' the tunes themselves, but not playlists, not automatically by static or dynamic playlists. It was more of a copy than a 'sync'. You also had very limited DRM support. That hampered syncing to a flash card.

heov
01-25-2006, 07:31 PM
you're right. it was caue of network sync. i guess it has special USB drivers. I always assumed it does it directly through AS or something. oh well

thanks for the help!

Sven Johannsen
01-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Well, it does do it through AS, in that you won't get a PPC to sync with MP without it being partnered and connected through AS, but for some reason they have it so it needs to be a direct connection. Incidentally, my experience is that it needs to actually be partnered too, a guest connection doesn't work for me. Bit annoying as my MCE machine isn't one of the machines I want to partner with and you only get two.