View Full Version : problems copying to SD card

JesterMania
01-24-2006, 02:29 PM
When I bought my iPaq hx2790, it came with an Imation 1GB SD Card (80x) as a bundle deal. I was using this card fine before and managed to copy a 250MB file to it and a few other small files without any hassle. Lately though, the card had become littered with a lot of files I didn't need and I thought a good idea would be to reformat it. So, I used the File Explorer and formatted the card (not quick, but full format). During mid-format, the iPaq seemed to have frozen for about 20 min. or so and I decided to soft reset, which led to the iPaq not recognizing the SD card :wink: . I then placed the SD card into my digital camera as a last-ditch resort and told it to format, which it did (but rather quickly - as in 1 second). I place the card back into my iPaq and it recognizes the now-blank card just fine, now it seems I have problems copying files to it.

I can copy files to the card just fine until after a random period of time, I hear the USB disconnect sound and my computer no longer recognizes a connection with my iPaq. Replugging the USB connection doesn't help, or sometimes it does but my computer complains about a malfunctioning USB device. Everytime, I must soft-reset my iPaq (and sometimes even restart my computer) for the connection to work. Then, I can copy a random number of files before the same problem occurs again.

Sorry if the description was a little long but my question is...does it have something to do with my memory card, or is this a normal problem? Any insights would help me greatly. :mrgreen:

Brad Adrian
01-24-2006, 03:24 PM
Your memory card may be bad, but it could also be related to how you're formatting the card. Camera formatting isn't always exactly the same thing as formatting with, say, your desktop computer.

I always use an SD reader on my PC to copy large files and/or format cards. If you can get a card reader (they're not very expensive) you might find it clears up the problem.

JesterMania
01-24-2006, 05:32 PM
Thanks, I suspected it was something to do with the way it was formatted. Are there any other card formatting programs available for PPC or something along the lines of say...scandisk for example...to example the card's filesystem?

pocketpcadmirer
01-25-2006, 07:20 AM
Thanks, I suspected it was something to do with the way it was formatted. Are there any other card formatting programs available for PPC or something along the lines of say...scandisk for example...to example the card's filesystem?

I would strongly recommend you, not to use your pocket pc for such purposes.
I instead conduct a scandisk test by putting my memory card into the card reader and then, I conduct a scandisk test.

Sunny

Nurhisham Hussein
01-25-2006, 07:35 AM
Agreed - the standard Windows tools are far better, and more importantly, safer to use. A card reader is a good investment, considering how cheap they are now.

JesterMania
01-27-2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks, I was about to buy one with my PPC but thought I wouldn't ever need it. I guess I'll be looking for one in the near future :wink: .