View Full Version : Which? KJAM or ETEN M600?

stsanford
01-22-2006, 03:45 AM
I currently have the SX66 (iMate PDA2K) which I do love. I miss the camera and very rarely use the keyboard. Wi-Fi, speed and reliabity are primary concerns as I use my phone for work and personal use. I have an opportunity to get either the KJAM or the ETEN M600 (TORQ) Which one would you get if in my situation and why would you choose that one?

Thanks!
Scott

Darius Wey
01-22-2006, 03:19 PM
Well, I'll add my vote for the M600. If a keyboard isn't important to you, and you highly value Wi-Fi, speed and reliability, then you'd want the M600 all the way. Bear in mind that there is no infrared, so if you rely on that for transferring files between devices, then you might want to stick with the K-JAM.

You can read more about the M600, here. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,44578:dont_paginate,1)

stsanford
01-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Thanks Darius.
How did you find Active Sync 4.
I've read some pretty negative reviews of it and was hoping that it's not all that bad. Stinks that there's no more Wi-Fi sync, but it's not like I've ever gotten that working with my current PDA...

Is there really enough of a reason to move from the PDA2K to the M600?

Thanks again!

Darius Wey
01-22-2006, 06:01 PM
How did you find Active Sync 4.

I'm not having any issues with v4.x. Of course, that's not to say it's perfect. It certainly has room for improvement, but on the whole, I've found it to be just as usable as v3.x. The lack of Wi-Fi sync is a bit of a pain, but I've never relied on it, so its omission in v4.x didn't bother me one bit.

Is there really enough of a reason to move from the PDA2K to the M600?

It depends on what you need in a Pocket PC Phone Edition. The M600 is certainly smaller, and it runs Windows Mobile 5.0. If you see those as two positives for you, then sure, the upgrade might be worth it. But the PDA2K is still a very solid device that's packed with features. While it's nice to have new devices every year, you should make sure that the M600 will give you plenty of bang for your buck.

I know quite a few people who have bought M600s recently and have been very happy with the device. Perhaps you'll fit in the same boat if you decide to upgrade.

phreaker18
01-26-2006, 09:04 PM
well i would stick with M600 as i dont use the keyboard much and i like the look of the M600 and also coz M600 supports SD cards whereas the K Jam supports Mini SD....

stsanford
01-26-2006, 09:10 PM
Great point on the miniSD. I didn't even consider that!
Looks like M600 here I come.
Thanks again to all!

phreaker18
01-27-2006, 05:37 AM
Great point on the miniSD.

thanx for the appreciation STSanford...
if u have SD cards with u already its meaningless to spend unnecessarily on new memory and that too expensive ones... and i suppose the M600 has SDIO support which the K Jam maybe lacking in its MiniSD slot... even if im wrong u dont have many MiniSD cards with SDIO for different kinds of expansion.... Darius!! i hope im right bro??

jamisonw
02-03-2006, 12:44 AM
I have read the KJAM has EDGE, but the M600 does not?

Darius Wey
02-03-2006, 03:57 AM

The M600 has no EDGE support. The K-JAM does.

Menneisyys
02-06-2006, 07:40 AM

If you plan to heavily use GPRS and your GSM operator offers EDGE support, I'd say go for the k-jam. With the latest ROM's it is REALLY, unbelievably fast (see my benchmarks of new Wizard ROM's here (http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=508&more=1))! It just can't be compared to GPRS speeds. You'll certainly love it.

I like my k-jam very much. It's a snappy and small little device with a really great, saturated, vivid screen and very small power consumption (you don't need to recharge it every day).