View Full Version : Agendus for Outlook v. Act!

stevenator65
01-21-2006, 08:06 PM
I've come to the conclusion that syncing Act! 6 w/my pocket pc will not work to my satisfaction. I've switched to Outlook and Pocket Informant.

Has anyone tried Agendus (http://www.iambic.com/products/default.asp?windows) for Outlook for the desktop? It's supposed to make Outlook a better PIM and integrate w/PI better. I really liked Act! and want to get as close to that experience as possible. I appreciate any responses.

BTW, I've tried xtndconnect, act link, companion link, intellisync, and transact. None are like the PI/Outlook combo where you can make appointments, notes, ect. on either platform and sync two ways. Outlook/PI simply works, the others don't.

Thanks,
Steve

Richard76
01-27-2006, 10:31 PM
@ stevenator65

I'm not sure where your problem lies with using ACT and your Pocket PC. I have been using ACT since version 2.0 with WinCE 2.1 and it works great.

Now, up until version 6 of ACT, I have been using CompanionLink Pro as my conduit to sync and the sync process goes through Outlook. In other words, when I first connect my Pocket PC to my computer, ActiveSync starts up and does a sync then once this is finished I start CompanionLink and do a "full sync". Once complete, everything in ACT, Outlook and my Pocket PC is up to date.

After upgrading to ACT 6, I made the mistake of installing ACT Link, thinking it could take the place of CompanionLink. Not. So I ended up uninstalling ACT Link for Pocket PC and re-installing CompanionLink. I am not positive but I believe that CompanionLink actually makes the Link program for ACT, it is just not as robust as the full version.

Hope this helps.

stevenator65
01-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Richard, thanks for replying to my thread. I'm finding this to be quite an informative and helpful site. Here are some of my observations:

1. companion does make act link, and it's not as robust - you're correct
2. companion link does put your act info onto the pocket pc. But if I remember correctly, it's not easy to find a contact on the pocket pc and add a task, appointment or notes. You have to use some kind of code. What I wanted, and got, was to be able to add tasks, appointments and notes like in the desktop. You can do this in PI and in Outlook.
3. I assume companion link syncs notes. I recently tried xtndconnect and it didn't.

Basically, I found that Outlook can do anything I did w/Act!, and it easily syncs with the pocket pc. I don't have to rely on 3rd party software. I'm glad I switched to the Dark Side. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Now, back to the subject. Has anyone tried agendus for Outlook on the desktop?

Thanks,
Steve