View Full Version : Internet connection via bluetooth and GPRS on a Sony Ericsson V800

sorenholm
01-21-2006, 07:11 PM
I am trying to get my iPaq hx4700 to connect to the internet via GPRS and bluetooth through my Sony Ericsson V800 and it just won't make the connection. I know I found some codes that made it work with my previous handheld, an AXIM X50v, but I can't find them again. Anyone have any tips?

Menneisyys
01-23-2006, 02:51 PM
Are you sure you use exactly the same 'codes'? BTW, what exactly are they? A full +CGDCONT command as the modem init string? Is the APN specified in the phone, or did you/do you pass it in the modem init string, from the PDA?

sorenholm
01-23-2006, 04:31 PM
Hi Menneisyys!
Thanks for answering! Actually, I don't have the codes that worked before. I lost my Axim :(
I am not sure I understand your questions :oops: What I know is that this is a GPRS connection to a 3G GSM network. From my computer all I need to do is set the dial string to *99***1# and then the bluetooth software does the rest. The iPaq seems to talk to the phone, but can't make the internet connection.

Menneisyys
01-23-2006, 07:50 PM
From my computer all I need to do is set the dial string to *99***1# and then the bluetooth software does the rest. The iPaq seems to talk to the phone, but can't make the internet connection.

The reason for this causes a lot of problems with other people too: Windows uses a different modem first-initialization string (which is sent out just only once, not before every connection request, unlike the "traditional" init string sent out). This is why the desktop Windows and the Pocket PC behaves differently.

You may want to define an init string with the contents of a combination of the following (Z, if present, should be the first and &f the second!):

Z

&f

^sgauth=1;

+CGQREQ=;

This helps in most cases; please see http://www.pocketpcmag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15950 and http://pocketpcmag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17837 for more info on the meaning of these.

DrQuincy
02-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Howdy!

I have used a Sony Ericsson T610 for my GPRS/Bluetooth connection to the Internet, and there were several settings that needed to be made on the phone in order to make the connection. The easiest way to set these is to have your carrier send the settings to the phone. T-Mobile's website has the ability to do this for you, if you carry their service. HowardForums has a lot of information about this from other users. Good luck!

Menneisyys
02-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Howdy!

I have used a Sony Ericsson T610 for my GPRS/Bluetooth connection to the Internet, and there were several settings that needed to be made on the phone in order to make the connection. The easiest way to set these is to have your carrier send the settings to the phone. T-Mobile's website has the ability to do this for you, if you carry their service. HowardForums has a lot of information about this from other users. Good luck!

Could you elaborate on the additional settings you were forced to make? On the t610 (I own one) I have never had to do any tweaking, unlike on, say, some newer S-E phones, which must be reset from the init string before dialing in.

DrQuincy
02-03-2006, 04:37 PM
It has been a while since I used this phone, and even longer since I set it up, but I remember that it had to do with setting the APN and other settings to create a "profile" on the phone. Then my PocketPC would reference the profile when dialing. When I upgraded my phone to one that did not require all of this, it took me a while to discover that this is somewhat unique to SE phones.

Menneisyys
02-03-2006, 04:45 PM
It has been a while since I used this phone, and even longer since I set it up, but I remember that it had to do with setting the APN and other settings to create a "profile" on the phone. Then my PocketPC would reference the profile when dialing. When I upgraded my phone to one that did not require all of this, it took me a while to discover that this is somewhat unique to SE phones.

You can set up the data account (the APN), but you don't need to in any of the S-E phones - you can just pass the APN info in the init string from the PDA to the phone. I'm pretty sure about this - have played a lot with S-E phones (and own two).