View Full Version : how to secure your pda in case of getting stolen/lost...?

ipaq_wannabe
01-21-2006, 04:43 PM
the advantage of living in a country where the crime rate is so low, and that a majority of the people are honest; is that i dont need to worry much about password-protecting my pda, encrypting it, etc. etc.

however, i would be going to some country where, well, it is obviously that you should never wear a belt pouch with the pouch hanging from the back lest someone just swipes it out from under your nose...

anyway, i am asking for some advice, though: how would i setup my x50v in such a way that it would at least be "safe"...?

say, something like:

* a good password program that locks the handheld after a few minutes, etc.? (well, something better than the built-in one)
* with most of my apps in the BIS - how can i setup my device such that they would be erased in a situation if it has been stolen/lost?
* most of my documents are stored in an external SD card - how would i setup my device such that they too would at least be "protected"?
well, i could choose not to load my handheld with an external card, though...
* anything else based on your experience, etc. - any tips, suggestions, recommendations, etc.

thanks in advanced...!!!

Constant Caffeine
01-21-2006, 06:56 PM
I use Resco File Explorer. Not only does it have file encryption, it also has file compression, a registry editor and much more. As for the power on password, I am still using the one that came with my device. I find the best way to keep prying eyes away is to maintain positive control over the it. Instead of leaving your PDA on your desk put it in your bottom drawer or keep it in your pocket.

ipaq_wannabe
01-22-2006, 01:18 AM
i also have the latest Resco - and i am planning to at least encrypt the documents in my SD card when i go on a trip...

however, how about the main PDA itself? are there recommended resource, say, that would wipe out the BIS, etc...? some password protection software that works well with the Axim x50v?

tep
01-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Hi. I'm getting my new axim x51v this week, coming over from a Palm TE2. I know palm has a built-in security option to encrypt my private records and to erase it after a certain number of attempts. Doesn't WM5 have this ability?

Nurhisham Hussein
01-26-2006, 02:43 AM
At the file level? Nope.

sweepy
01-28-2006, 11:18 PM
I’ve been using NMS for PPC by New Media Security www.newmediasecurity.com

There is a cost to it but it is well worth it, the main feature for me was the way in which it allowed you encrypt ALL your storage cards, therefore making the contents unusable on any other device that your PPC.
Another good feature is the LOCK OUT and WIPE facility, which you can configure the device to lock out intruders after a set number of incorrect attempts at logging in, and also to wipe the device and all storage cards should you wish. (you can use a master key to unlock the lock out – but if wiped you will need to back up from your PC)

Well worth the money

paul544
02-01-2006, 04:05 PM
Is there any way to make password protection cold boot persistent? If the PDA is stolen, but pw protected, and someone hard boots it, how do you get the protection to still be there on reset?

buzzard
02-01-2006, 05:56 PM
I use Nice Start on my PPC. It allows you to adjust how many login attempts are allowed before the login time slows down or locks or hard resets. All of the settings are your choice.

http://www.trancreative.com/nicestart.aspx

CowboyNinjaPirate
02-03-2006, 06:01 PM
The name escapes me at the moment (RhinoVault or somehting similar), but my dad had it on his Ipaq hx2410 and I don't know how it managed it but when it was hard reset the program would somehow launch itself at setup and lock itself using the settings you picked.

I did a quick search but couldn't find the software so I may have the name wrong. :(