View Full Version : Tapping into Satellite Radio on your Pocket PC

Darius Wey
01-20-2006, 03:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/articles/radio.mspx' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmob...cles/radio.mspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"If you haven't heard of satellite radio, here's the breakdown: for a monthly fee, you get access to a wide variety of radio content, commercial free. Unlike traditional radio, where in most markets you'd be lucky to get a dozen radio stations, you typically get access to well over a hundred radio stations. The content ranges from the usual Top 40 stations, to R&amp;B, hip-hop, latin, and talk radio programs, including comedy. XM Radio is one of the "big two" in the business (the other is Sirius), and they also offer a Web-based access system so you can listen when you're at your computer."</i><br /><br />Fancy bringing satellite radio to your Pocket PC? Then head over to the Windows Mobile site where you'll find an article written by our own Jason Dunn. Worth a read! :)

Phillip Dyson
01-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Interesting idea. While I don't listen to radio much anymore, its encouraging that more services are taking Windows Mobile into account.

[OFF-TOPIC]
Microsoft's website is so frustrating. Darius, how did you even find this article? I can't find a parent page for articles anywhere.
[/OFF-TOPIC]

jlc, just jlc
01-20-2006, 04:21 PM
No trial? SO if it doesn't work on your device you are stuck? Besides, xm strams for free via the web and WMP.

Does it work on a 700p?

Darius Wey
01-20-2006, 05:09 PM
[OFF-TOPIC]
Microsoft's website is so frustrating. Darius, how did you even find this article? I can't find a parent page for articles anywhere.
[/OFF-TOPIC]

Yeah, it's a tad annoying how there's no longer a readily accessible page. If you want, you can subscribe to these feeds here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/articles/rssfeeds.mspx

tospappy
01-20-2006, 05:19 PM
I have XM and Sirius, and use an XM player for WM 9 on my Ipaq 5500, but the Sirius player requires WM10. Any sirius player for WM9?

thanks

pivaska
01-20-2006, 06:17 PM
I have xm but I tried to go to it using the xmradio.com and then jumping through the other two pages but when I come up to the last page where you can pick your channel it doesn't show up correctly. I am using the regular ie for access. Should I be using something else?

Peter Traugot
01-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Please DO check out "SelectRadio". It handles XM feeds and ANY other streaming radio, like Shoutcast, etc. New and VERY nice.

Don Tolson
01-20-2006, 07:38 PM
Too bad it requires access to the web...I don't have any way of tapping in here at work. I wonder if someone has come out, or will come out with a SDIO card which would access the satellites directly??

BevHoward
01-21-2006, 06:35 PM
One thing that's important with respect to XM web access is the fact that they don't offer all the satellite channels via the web interface.

I've been an XM subscriber for about a year and a half and only one of the 5 non music channels I regularly listen to on the receiver are offered through web access.

They jacked up monthly rates by about 20% several months ago using web access as their justification, but the commercial level on the non music channels has increased to a point that's equal or beyond am/fm radio levels, so, that, combined with their love of Bob &amp; Ray (who sometimes show up on three channels at the same time) have me about ready to cancel the subscription.

Their claim to "commercial free" is actually "commercial free music channnels" As far as I can tell, all of the non music channels are currently overloaded with commercials... even worse, they are overloaded with lame commercials which are repeated incessantly.

That said, having XM when traveling is a treat... guess I'll just have to start traveling more.

Constant Caffeine
01-22-2006, 12:33 AM
Their claim to "commercial free" is actually "commercial free music channnels" As far as I can tell, all of the non music channels are currently overloaded with commercials... even worse, they are overloaded with lame commercials which are repeated incessantly.

That makes me think of our local cable provider. They advertise digital channels, but they only have digital music channels, DMX. They do not have one channel at all that is digital. I cannot see why they can advertise something like that and it not apply to their entire service. Our airport is no better. Our "international" airport is not really international. I asked for a direct flight to Scandinavia and they told me that I would have to fly out of Chicago or New York. I asked them what countries they service. They have one flight from Canada comes down once every nine months. It is a cargo plane. :roll: Apparently that makes them an international airport even though there is no customs department. Give me a break. Just because of this I drive to Chicago and do not give them any of my business.

Sorry I got a bit of topic.