View Full Version : Can you help me choose a PDA please.

Risky Biz
01-19-2006, 04:48 PM
I hope this is the right place for such a post but please delete if not.

I've started a new job and I'm required to travel around to our European offices for tons of meetings. I'm new to this industry (I'm an accountant by trade and I'm moving into Risk Management) and therefore have a ton of reading to do on the subject in general. Besides this I keep several personal spreadsheets tracking various things that I'd like to be able to update on my commute rather than waste family time in the evening. Also, I'd like to plan my day in the diary on the commute to work and not have to do it when I get in.

I'm looking for a PDA that will enable me to read lengthy documents, draft e-mails, make meeting notes and have a decent calendar - it must be able to sync with MSOffice because that's what we use at work.

I'm basically after the PDA that's the next best thing to a laptop by the looks of it! It doesn't need to be a phone as well. I understand that I can't get 'live' e-mail like on a blackberry and that's not a big deal as long as I can sync with outlook when I get home or to the office.

Please could you advise the best thing around at the moment to suit those needs?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Again, if this isn't the purpose of this forum please delete away.

Constant Caffeine
01-19-2006, 06:39 PM
There are many PDA’s to choose from. Your needs in a PDA suggest that you will want to have one that has room for storage growth. You will want to make sure that it has a compact flash or secure digital expansion slot. This will allow you to purchase addition storage in the event the PDA runs out of initial storage.

Many people here have their own preferences. Personally, I feel that HP is a good reliable brand. On another note, you may want to check with your company and see if they have a standard on equipment. If they do, you will want to make sure you buy one that they would be willing to support. Good luck on your future purchase.

Malave53
01-20-2006, 01:29 AM
Im going a few days with my K JAm and its great....

Patrick Y.
01-20-2006, 04:05 AM
All the Pocket PC has the all the function you want as standards. If that's not enough, you can always purchase additional softwares. Anyway, ANY Pocket PC will be suitable for you if those are your only requirement. I suggest you to tell us about some other things you want in a PDA besides software, such as good battery life, performance, camera, etc. and your budget.

pocketpcadmirer
01-20-2006, 07:09 AM
I'm looking for a PDA that will enable me to read lengthy documents, draft e-mails, make meeting notes and have a decent calendar - it must be able to sync with MSOffice because that's what we use at work.

As said above, any Pocket PC would suit your needs,but, I would prefer you the Dell Axim X51V. It has got a nice big VGA screen which will put less stress on your eyes when reading documents for prolonged time. It has got wi-fi too. Please go to this link (http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/axim_x51v?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs) for more info

Sunny

Risky Biz
01-20-2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks a lots people. Really appreciated. I think the Dell Axim X51V is the way to go. Just one final point if you'd be so kind - how long would I wait for this technology to be superseeded? is it worth, for example, to wait three months for a better model?

I've a habit of buying cars just before the 'upgraded model' is announced!!! Gets right on my nerves.

Thanks again, I look forward to using this forum to get the most out of it

Nurhisham Hussein
01-20-2006, 01:15 PM
The x51v is about three months old - it is the upgraded model. I don't think Dell is coming out with any new models until the second half of this year. As far as the technology being superseded, the hot item of the moment is GPS - whether that's a killer app depends on your needs.

Constant Caffeine
01-20-2006, 03:01 PM
Just one final point if you'd be so kind - how long would I wait for this technology to be superseeded? is it worth, for example, to wait three months for a better model?

As far as technology goes, my opinion is you will go broke trying to keep up with it. Regardless of when the next model comes out, you will wish you had that one. That model will have something more the other does not. Once you find a brand and model you like get it. Take good care of it. If the next model is what you really, really wanted sell it to someone. Just get in the game.

Risky Biz
01-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the advice so far guys. Much appreciated.

I'm leaning towards the X51 with the optional battery.

Do you know how good the microphone and recording ability is? Could I, for example, put it on a table during a 30 minute meeting and record it, get home and save it onto my PC as a media file?

Cheers

pocketpcadmirer
01-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Well the microphone is of ok qualilty. Just dont expect concert quality recordings(Sony Clie's had the best microphones)

**suggesstion: Use the application notesm(freeware) for directly recording to mp3 format. Built-in notes application saves the recording in wav format which ultimately occupies a lot of space

Sunny

Nurhisham Hussein
01-22-2006, 04:23 PM
IIANM the Dell has a four ring connector in the headphone jack - if you have the right type of adapter, you can plugin your own external mike. And I fully endorse pocketpcadmirer's recommendation - use NotesM, if you can find it.

clbsvi
01-23-2006, 04:56 AM
My opinion only:
Look closely at a new HP iPAQ hx2495. Unit costs about $315.00 (with on-the-spot rebates) at the local Circuit City. Has built-in WiFi and Bluetooth (BT), both Compact Flash and SD card slots, Windows Mobile 5 (WM5), replaceable battery plus built-in backup battery. If service is required AFTER warranty expires, suggest you use PPC Techs, advertised on this website. I have a bad taste for Dell due to both warranty service problems and financial service scr--w-overs in past year. Of course, the reason for your post was to get diverse opinions.

Other caveats: ActiveSync 2003 was easier to configure than WM5. processor in iPAQ is plenty fast, but if too many apps are open at once, response speed slows way down. The unit accepted my 512 KB Kingston CF card loaded from an older iPAQ, with no problems. WiFi works great. For me, BT/ActiveSync sucks like a deep space vacuum, though BT
works OK with simple BT devices like headsets, cameras and cell phones. I would prefer to flush BT as a wireless standard and move solely to WiFi for wireless requirements, (with the ability to scale the WiFi power output up or down with a software slider such the PDA's screen brightness control and audio volume control). Good luck and rely on the PPC Thoughts experts you trust like Janek and Jason, and others.

BTW, I ran GPS very well on an old Palm Pilot IIIe using DeLorme hardware and software. No color screen or voice commands, of course, but with 2MB of RAM, I was able to map relaibly between Shreveport, LA and Tallahassee FL, or as small as 10 miles across on a city, with 0.5
mile screen expansion as needed.

pocketpcadmirer
01-23-2006, 04:37 PM
If you are really serious about the recording on your PPC, would recommend you to buy a copy of Resco Recorder which can be found here (www.resco.net/pocketpc/audiorecorder/default.asp)

Sunny

leebrendalee
01-27-2006, 12:03 AM
Hey have you bought the pocket pc yet? I just bought the hx2490.....This thing is terrific....I felt the X51v had too many problems...after reading and reading up on it.............didn't really want/need the battery headaches and the exchanges on the thing..

just my two cents worth after getting lots of advice here..... ;-)

Love this site!!

Risky Biz
01-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks again for your comments.

I'm yet to commit to a purchase. I've been reading around this site as much as possible and bought this months edition of "PDA buyer" - I've been constantly going on the Dell website and customing up to see what I need (and what I want of course - a subtle difference). The good thing about the hx2490 is that I can go to the store and put my hands on the thing - see it in action. That's my lunch break today sorted out then….

I'll let you know what I go for when I make the jump - then I'll be after clever software recommendations!

Cheers

leebrendalee
01-29-2006, 05:44 PM
I read a lot of reviews. This site was great for reviews:

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ipaq-hx2490.htm

and read the Dell one also.

I also typed in google "hp2490 reviews" or something and same for dell.
I think I read technet for reviews..I can't recall..but I read like 100 for each at one site..read them all............and in the end..you will see a clear winner....

had mine now for a couple of days...The thing is light and easy to carry around..and the screen..I can't get over the screen..it's really nice..

asims
01-31-2006, 07:34 PM
I was hoping to find a discussion on purchasing a new pocket pc! I am planning on getting a new one in the next two or three weeks and was leaning toward the Axim x50v or x51v (my father-in-law has the x51v so I've been able to check it out up close). However, I currently have a h2215 and have really enjoyed this IPAQ. So seeing clbsvi's comment on the hx2495 has me wondering if I would be more satisfied sticking with HP. My earlier ppcs have all been HPs - 525, 545, and the 565; and I have rarely had problems with them.
So I think I'll just have to take a closer look at the hx2495 before making my final decision.

Keep posting!

leebrendalee
01-31-2006, 11:53 PM
check out this thread: which one should I buy? on page two of just chatting

I DID buy the hp2490 its' absolutely fantastic................too many problems with axim 51v...didn't want the headache