View Full Version : So, How many are going to give up on the 700w for the 6700?

globaloffice
01-19-2006, 03:08 PM
I'm on the fence personally due to some quirks with the 700w that I find annoying. Anyone else thinking about swapping since VZ releases the 6700 today? ?

-Roger

mpaque
01-19-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm keeping my 700w. The 6700 looks intruiging, but I really like the form factor the of the Treo. Having said that, I probably will mosey on down to my local VZW store and take a look at the 6700 :D

globaloffice
01-19-2006, 06:54 PM
Traded mine out this morning. If nothing else reset the 15 day return clock. So far I'm impressed, but there are tradeoffs I see immediately. Give me a chance to play and I'll post my opinions :-)

-R

possmann
01-20-2006, 12:24 AM
No frickin' way...

I've enjoyed every waking moment with the Treo - finally a form fact that WORKS - not to mention the niceties that Palm built into this device as well. For the first time with a PPC device I can really and easily one hand navigate.

I also know that these device (TREO) has a better track record than HP with their devices when it comes to the phone edition...

globaloffice
01-20-2006, 03:34 AM
Well, here are some initial comparisons for you...

The 240x240 screen on the 700w is clearer and sharper than the 6700. That said however, the 6700 has the real estate to work with it as a regular PDA and the differences are not night and day in sharpness. .

One handed operation works for either. If that one handed operation is key to you the 700w is a much cleaner implementation.

Same platforms, same apps loaded the 700w had 6.94mb program memory free. The 6700 has 27.8 mb.

Run since 11:30 am, much playing, numerous resets testing things like Tweaks2k and Resco, bluetooth on, wi-fi on and off, basically backlight always on, and 54 minutes worth of call time had 40% battery remaining. I started with 90%.

6700 comes with docking cradle and cables versus just cables in the 700w. 6700 cradle can also charge a second battery at the same time. Also comes with earbuds and an extra stylus.

You get to see just how much Palm stripped the OS. Recently used programs works in the 6700, is nonexistent in the 700w. More info screens and some nice bundled apps like an audio recorder. No voice command on the 6700 tho.

Wifi flat rocks. I go from a wi-fi home to a wi-fi office and a wi-fi hotspot in the datacenter where I work, not having to worry about the cell connection is priceless especially around all the RFI in the datacenter and can still sync mail using the VZW wireless client.

You can make one registry change in the 6700 and have both wi-fi and phone at the same time.

No crashes, no incompatible software (yet) so far I'm much happier.

Speakerphone is a bit weak. BT headset works flawlessly. Cameras about equal, slightly better on the 6700. 6700 has flash.

Have not found a decent case for the 6700 tho. It comes with a tacky slipcover, no loops or clips. 700w seems like you can't swing a dead cat without seeing a different case already .

Hope that helps..

-Roger

mesposito2
01-20-2006, 06:43 AM
I'm on the fence personally due to some quirks with the 700w that I find annoying. Anyone else thinking about swapping since VZ releases the 6700 today? ?

-Roger

Nope. Two reasons right now:

- I agree with others on the form-factor.
- Speaker and sound quality

Memory is the only real downer. Maybe we'll be able to upgrade them.

Mark

futbolman
01-20-2006, 12:45 PM
I was on the fence after moving over from my i730 but the Treo form factor has me sold. Yes they should have squeezed in another 32MB of program memory and included a few more accessories such as a cradle (the optional Palm cradle is awesome and allows for charging of second battery). I 'played' with the 6700 a bit and though a seemingly solid device I see myself running into the same slider issues I had to fight with on the i730. PPC Techs will be offering a memory upgrade in the near future which hopefully will resolve the low memory issue with the 700.

Until the Treo 1000 comes out with 1GB ram :wink: I'm holding on to my 700.

paulchiu
01-20-2006, 03:37 PM
I was just at a NYC Verizon store after reading this thread. The store did not have any VX6700 in stock. They were also sold out of the Treo 700W.
As for the VX6700, the website has a ridiculously low SAR rating of under 0.010 at the ear on the VZ site. If this is correct, then this is the lowest SAR at ear number that I have EVER seen. This alone is worth getting the phone. The SAR at body is more normal at about 1.00, similar to the Treo 700W.

Aside from the SAR number which give the advantage to the VX6700, the maker (at least according to the lone sales guy at the VZ store) is Audiovox. That in itself does not give me much confidence on the 6700.

Does any of you have the pixel count on the 6700? So far, in my first day operating the 700w, the screen real estate of only 240x240 is my only dislike for the 700w. Browsing speed has been pretty good. I do compare the speed alongside my Time Warner Cable Road Runner cable modem service, which is as much as 3mbs.

With only 7 days of my 15 days return policy remaining, the 6700 is a real dilemma for me. I have also ordered a bunch of Treo 700w accessories already from amazon, buy.com and here for the 700w. So, returning everything or keeping the extra JUNK could get under my skin!!!!!

Help!

Paul
Paul

globaloffice
01-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Aside from the SAR number which give the advantage to the VX6700, the maker (at least according to the lone sales guy at the VZ store) is Audiovox. That in itself does not give me much confidence on the 6700.

Don't know if it helps, but the unit is only resold by Audiovox. It's actually the HTC Apache in Verizon cloaking.

-Roger

globaloffice
01-20-2006, 04:08 PM
PPC Techs will be offering a memory upgrade in the near future which hopefully will resolve the low memory issue with the 700.

I dunno. While I commend the PPCTechs guys for trying, and know that if anyone *can* and will do it it will be them, their track record on the first two has not been good. First had no display when done, although they believe that was a video cable issue, but the second refused to recognize the installed memory.

That said, sure, it may not be insurmountable but buying into the "well, they'll be fixing that" is a may or may not be situation and you have a paperweight if it fails as you have no warranty.

-Roger

possmann
01-20-2006, 04:44 PM
again - I have seen an issue in performance or memory with the treo - i'm keepin' mine.

futbolman
01-20-2006, 07:53 PM
I agree with possman, my memory upgrade comment was for those that just have to have the extra program memory. I have a 2GB SD card loaded with 1GB of music and a dozen 3rd party (240 X 240 compatible) apps and my device runs just fine. She's not perfect, but definitely a keeper.....for now :D

paulchiu
01-20-2006, 08:07 PM
I agree with possman, my memory upgrade comment was for those that just have to have the extra program memory. I have a 2GB SD card loaded with 1GB of music and a dozen 3rd party (240 X 240 compatible) apps and my device runs just fine. She's not perfect, but definitely a keeper.....for now :D

So if I get an SD card, say 1GB or 2, I'll be able to finally play some of those Windows Media movies on my 700w?

Paul

merlin
01-30-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm trading in the XV6700 for the Treo 700W. I've had it for 7 days now.

The screen is unreadable outdoors for me on the 6700 and I've used the Treo in the store and it's more usable with one hand.
Can anyone tell me how the Troe screen looks outdoors?

The Treo seems much easier to use and my 6700 is freezing up already!!
I like the directional pad much better than the joystick on the XV6700.

There are a few times where I couldn't place the cursor to type in with the joystick, I would need the stylus for it on the 6700.

Will the SD card help with the program memory or is it just for storing files? I need to return my 1 GB mini-sd card to Best Buy now.

thanks

merlin
02-02-2006, 05:45 PM
OK. I gave back my 6700 for the Treo 700W. :D
What a difference!! It's so much easier to use, even one handed!
I haven't seen any memory problems yet.
I have 2 programs loaded in the storage card: Resco FIle Explorer and Resco Photo Viewer.

I'm very glad I switched. :D

gliscameria
05-09-2006, 01:22 AM
I actually got rid of my 650.. eek, palm...

Anywho... Had the two side by side... Salesman actually had a 6700 on his hip. I don't know what anyone is talking about with the speaker issues. I keep it half volume and it plenty loud in the city.

I still think it comes down to the fact that the 6700 is a PDA that works as a phone, and the 700w is a phone that works as a PDA.

I much prefer the SMS interface for the 700w, and the 700w takes SD right? the 6700 is mini-only, poopy.

I was simply sold on -
WiFi (Whole town is WiFi)
Bigger Screen
Love the keyboard
I was so fed up with my 650 I didn't even want to look at anything like it
(If you get it) the voice command is flawless

It seems a bit sluggish to me, but I've been messing around with installing and uninstalling apps on it, and keeping it connected to the internet 24/7.

The screen orientation is annoying. It lags when you switch to the keyboard, I'm hoping to find a hack to keep it landscape all the time. I'm also not impressed with the bluetooth functionality. It could be my Tosh bluetooth, but I was really hoping for Bluetooth Active Sync to work. No luck yet.