View Full Version : Guru help needed for messaging problem

tregnier
01-19-2006, 12:50 AM
Without changing any of my settings, my email no longer will send messages and I get the error message, "Messages cannot be downloaded to your mobile device. Make sure you are connected and that your email account settings are correct. Then, try to download messages again." The message appears when I try to send/receive. When I delete it, it appears one more time.

This is interesting because I still receive messages but the error only appears when I have a message in my outbox. I cannot send messages. They remain in my outbox and I receive the error. I have gone through my settings a bazillion times (okay, maybe only a half bazillion). I have made sure that there are no other applications running when I've tried to fix this. I just can't figure out what to do/check.

Any help will be appreciated and will raise you to higher levels of esteem in the PPC community. :D

TIA

Cybrid
01-19-2006, 08:08 AM
Without changing any of my settings, my email no longer will send messages and I get the error message, "Messages cannot be downloaded to your mobile device. Make sure you are connected and that your email account settings are correct. Then, try to download messages again." The message appears when I try to send/receive. When I delete it, it appears one more time.

This is interesting because I still receive messages but the error only appears when I have a message in my outbox. I cannot send messages. They remain in my outbox and I receive the error. I have gone through my settings a bazillion times (okay, maybe only a half bazillion). I have made sure that there are no other applications running when I've tried to fix this. I just can't figure out what to do/check.

Any help will be appreciated and will raise you to higher levels of esteem in the PPC community. :D

TIA Have you tried soft reset, backup, hard reset, & then trying? If there is no change then you're only a restore away from back to ''normal".

tregnier
01-19-2006, 01:22 PM
A hard reset is an option that I'll try after I see if any responses are given that might differ. It's not Plan A because of all the time with reinstallations - my Sprite beta does not backup software on WM5.

Thanks for the suggestion...I appreciate your response.

tregnier
01-20-2006, 01:39 PM
In researching the issue further, I find that it is probably an SMTP server issue with Mediacom, my cable ISP. To avoid spam, they don't let just anyone with a password and ID send mail.

Some forums have suggested that an Outbound server port be changed from the default 25 to 465. I've done this by adding a :465 after the port mail.mchsi.com that is required. This, however, has not corrected the issue. I haven't had the endurance to bear the 45 hold time with Mediacom yet.

My question, has anyone else encountered and solved this issue?

Thanks!