View Full Version : Developer One are a disgrace!

dickiedove
01-18-2006, 11:11 PM
I received the following email from D1 the other day stating:

Thank you for your recent post(s) to the Developer One Forums. We have begun the process of changing the format of the Forums, including a new moderator feature where posts will not be displayed unless they meet specific Developer One criteria. Thank you for using the Developer One Forums, and thank you for your patience during our transition to a new format that should be more organized and easier to find the helpful information you need.

Karrie
Developer One Customer Services

In other words they will not allow any critical posts whatsoever. This is subsequent to repeated posts being removed from their forum for being critical of the AF 7.0 release schedule/treatment of customers!

SteveHoward999
01-18-2006, 11:37 PM
So what were you saying?

"{this} is a disgrace and you are all the spawn of satan"

OR

"{this} is an issue for me, can we work out a mutually agreeable remedy?"

dickiedove
01-18-2006, 11:54 PM
Nothing offensive, I promise. No name calling or anything other than asking tough questions for them perhaps.

I and others have had our posts deleted for complaining about the release schedule and the lack of communication with users.

And besides it seems this is a generic rule. Every post has to go through a censorship process!!!

jhalsey205
01-19-2006, 04:24 PM
This is why I jumped ship for PI some time ago (and why I believe AF continues to lose market share).

John

Constant Caffeine
01-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Unfortunately they can do whatever they want with their site. If you feel you are not getting what you paid for, you can always right the Better Business Bureau.

Jacob
01-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Unfortunately they can do whatever they want with their site. If you feel you are not getting what you paid for, you can always right the Better Business Bureau.

You're right, they can. I don't think that's the issue.

The issue is that what they are doing is just bad for business and hopefully someone from their company reads this and sees the reaction.

It's definitely a sign of a company that seems to care more about appearances. They could fix the issue by addressing the concerns openly, but I guess that's not really the easy route.

ReDeVil
01-19-2006, 10:49 PM
just use Pocket Informant, discount for those who jump ship right? :lol:

dickiedove
01-20-2006, 12:49 PM
My big issue with them was that they updated to V7 on the promise of an exciting development schedule with a new view that is full of bugs and attached an upgrade cost. They have made minor updates about three times the last of which contained a tiny change to the contacts view and the inclusion of a load of colour schemes I developed for them personally. And that constitutes over a year now of exciting developments!

The upgrade cost to V7 has basically paid the bill for their WM5 development cost and they have have dumped all their 2003 Users for the time being to drive the new revenue stream.

I prefer the functionality of AF over PI but I have to say that I have removed AF from my PPC on principle because I just feel as though I have been tricked out of money by them

I also think this new tactic of limiting posting in their forums to eliminate the bad press they were receiving represents an all time low. Its just plain cowardly.

HomerSimpian
01-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Here's what Pocket PC Thoughts forum agreement states:While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material .... Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). ... You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit. ...
DickieDove - if you want to be consistent it seems you should boycott this forum :wink:
I've used AF and while there are growing pains, it seems you need to chill. You ought to purchase a product for what it offers, not what you think they SHOULD offer. When I bought my car I didn't buy it because I thought the manufacturer was going to upgrade or update it the way I want. I highly doubt they'll just give me next year's model for free! Besides...you paid all of what $30 US. for it! Then go to PI and be quiet...just like any other consumer who finds a product they like better.
Oh..how were you 'tricked' out of money? They offer a trial period in which you didn't have to buy if you don't like. Did you get your $30 worth of use? If so, I don't see how you were 'tricked'

Jacob
01-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Here's what Pocket PC Thoughts forum agreement states:While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material .... Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). ... You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit. ...
DickieDove - if you want to be consistent it seems you should boycott this forum :wink:

Nope - there's a difference. This forum only reserves the right to remove the post after it has been posted.

D1 has instituted a pre-screening process which gives the definite impression of a much higher level of mistrust.

D1 is also a support forum - support is there to deal with criticism of the company's products. If you start not allowing posts to even show up that display certain bugs, etc.. then you present a false front to your customers that what they say is being thrown away and not addressed.

There's definitely a difference in both the methods and also the purposes of both the sites.

dickiedove
01-20-2006, 11:50 PM
I've used AF and while there are growing pains, it seems you need to chill. You ought to purchase a product for what it offers, not what you think they SHOULD offer. When I bought my car I didn't buy it because I thought the manufacturer was going to upgrade or update it the way I want. I highly doubt they'll just give me next year's model for free! Besides...you paid all of what $30 US. for it! Then go to PI and be quiet...just like any other consumer who finds a product they like better.
Oh..how were you 'tricked' out of money? They offer a trial period in which you didn't have to buy if you don't like. Did you get your $30 worth of use? If so, I don't see how you were 'tricked'

Thanks Homer, think maybe you missed my points:

1. I haven't left any thing obscene or abusive. I and many other users have remarked on our dissatisfaction with D1 in their forums only to see our posts removed. They are now doing something much more sinister in censor checking posts before allowing them into the forum. Again not the same thing at all.

2. AF prior to V7 was an on going development ie they released a version and their customer base pointed out flaws, they then acted on those flaws/suggestions of improvements. In V7's case they released saying there was a brand new view that was already OK but would be developed over "the next few months "with lots of improvements destined in the near future. That's why I bought it, there was no indication that the business model was changing, in fact the reverse.

3. In view of the above I look at my purchase as a subscription to a magazine. I expect my 12 months of editions. So in answer to your question no I don't feel like I got my 30 bucks worth....

This money has then be used to develop for another revenue stream, meanwhile those who paid for our version of the old OS to be improved have been left high and dry, and our one recourse of posting on the forum about this has been taken away.