View Full Version : avoid sandisk SD card products - the warranty is meaningless

biglouis
01-16-2006, 11:26 PM
My frustration with SanDisk has finally boiled over and I thought I would share it with the forum, in the hope that I can seek some revenge by putting potential customers off buying their SD cards.

I purchased a 2GB SD card for my PPC back in July of last year. In August, after about a month, the card stopped working. No effort on my part could retrieve the data or revive the card.

I corresponded with SanDisk through their e-mail support system and they authorised the card for a warranty replacement. I despatched it to their European centre on the 12 September. A month later, they acknowledged the receipt (incidentally the delivery time via airmail was 3 days but anyhoo, some administrations work slower than others).

After waiting another month, I enquired in November where my replacement was and received a nicely written e-mail apologising for the delay in sending me one, but assuring it would soon be on its way.

Finally a month after that, with no further response to any of my e-mails I sent an airmail letter to the President of Sandisk pointing out my disatisfaction with having spent more time away from my product than using it.

Now a month later, still absolutely no response. That, I guess, is now money down the drain.

Anyway, if this puts you off buying SanDisk I will at least get the vicarious pleasure of knowing that you are spending your bucks elsewhere and ensuring that their outrageously poor after sales service is not rewarded.

If anyone from SanDisk reads this - perhaps you can find out what has happened to RX095212?

LouisB

Cybrid
01-16-2006, 11:50 PM
Yea. They are Slooooowwwww!

But I've had a Wifi card bought on Ebay go bad,
RMA'ed,
second one go bad years later,
rma'ed,
replaced with a 1 Gb Sd card since they no longer carry/ manufacture that card.
What can I say? I must be lucky?.

MarcFou
01-17-2006, 05:51 AM
I never choose a product for its warranty or reputation. I buy the cheapest thing I can get my hands on. Since I would never waste my time shipping something to the manufac. I figure I might as well save the $$$ at time of purchase.

Reflecting back on 20 years of purchased electronic items, I'm certain that I saved more money on a "use it, it broke, buy a new cheap replacement" philosophy.

Many times family and friends have these expensive warranties and name brands only to take a total loss. Mean while I sit here with my no name brand piece of .... and when it breaks at least I only paid half as much.

Dont get me wrong. There are some times that a warranty\brand name has its value. But we live in a disposable world. If you know your going to eventually give it away or throw it away, might as well save some money doing it.

My condolences on your situation & sorry for the long post.

biglouis
01-17-2006, 07:20 AM
Apologies for allowing my frustration to boil over. I suppose what did it for me was the comparison with the warranty service I got for my Apple iPod Nano.

On December 18th it stopped working. On the 19th it was sent back to Apple. On the 23rd a brand new warranty replacement was in my hands. And this was all in the week before Xmas!

Now, that is what I call after sales service. Not this ridiculously poor, stupidly slow, sorry excuse for after sales that I've had from SanDisk. 4 months and still counting.

LouisB

Constant Caffeine
01-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Was it not possible to return it to the store where you bought it? I had a similar experience with a 512 Ultra II card. I bought it online and it failed after 42 days. I contacted the merchant and they swapped it for me. I would think that if it had not been 30 days you should have had little problem returning to the seller and asked for an even exchange. Nevertheless, it does not make your situation any better. You could always contact SanDisk expressing your concern for their lack of service. Maybe they will send you a new 4 GB as a ‘peace offering’? Never hurts to ask.

It does seem that customer service in many areas has gone downhill over the last couple years.

pocketpcadmirer
01-19-2006, 10:54 AM
A year or two, I had two Sandisk cards, which is used with my older iPAQ 2215. Both of them stopped working or couldnt be read on my pocket pc. I contacted the sandisk retailer. But, he just refused to help me.

Sunny