View Full Version : Can you use the Treo 700w as EVDO modem via cable for my laptop?

lindykid
01-16-2006, 04:10 AM
If not, that is really a shame and dumb on verizon's part. If that is the case what carrier or phone supports this?

jlc, just jlc
01-16-2006, 02:13 PM
If not, that is really a shame and dumb on verizon's part. If that is the case what carrier or phone supports this?

It works just fine with the PDAnet beta. That is the main reason I'm keeping my 700w instead of going back to the 650 - I can now work in the airport at a reasonable speed. If Verizon comes out with a 700p I may switch back. The only problem I have is my power plug fits real loose into the cable (I'm using an iGO A43 plug) so if I bump it it unplugs. The Treo plug is fine, I just don't want to carry yet another power supply. My iGO charges my Treo / PSP / iPOD / laptop with just one brick. I bought a Motorola headset that has a USB charger - one more cable isn't bad, plus there are iGO plugs for the Moto as well.

Verizon disabled DUN; rumor has it they will add it back in a firmware update but I wouldn't hold my breath. Some Verizon phones allowed DUN with Mobile Office; I'm not sure if they still have that. Verizon also supposedly has a tether option for $15/mo that lets you use a phone as a modem; I haven't inquired about that since PDAnet is $30 which means I recoup the cost after 2 months; plus I don't use it that much that my data usage would show up as excessive if VZW monitors use patterns.

lindykid
01-17-2006, 09:24 PM
Would you say using this as a internet connection for my laptop (mac) would be reliable?

globaloffice
01-18-2006, 02:27 AM
Would you say using this as a internet connection for my laptop (mac) would be reliable?

Probably not, since Windows Mobile/Activesync and PDAnet are not supported on the Mac :-(

-R

paulchiu
01-18-2006, 02:49 AM

Get a cheap Dell and surf like mad in the airports & the malls. 700w should drive it fine.

mpaque
01-18-2006, 02:16 PM
I gave PDAnet a try with my 700w and an IBM laptop. Worked like a charm. I could even connect to my VPN at work.

pjpjr
03-18-2006, 02:31 AM
I installed PdaNet on my notebook with no issues. I connected using PdaNet with no issues. What seemed unusual was the data usage on my 700w showed no increase in data sent/received for this connection. Instead, the call timer reflected increased minutes for the time I was connected. Does anyone know if this is due to PdaNet using a modem API or am I missing a setup option for exclusive EVDO access?

Edited 2006-03-21 : PdaNet support confirmed that it utilizes the data interface only.

Janak Parekh
03-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Verizon disabled DUN; rumor has it they will add it back in a firmware update but I wouldn't hold my breath. Some Verizon phones allowed DUN with Mobile Office; I'm not sure if they still have that. Verizon also supposedly has a tether option for $15/mo that lets you use a phone as a modem; I haven't inquired about that since PDAnet is $30 which means I recoup the cost after 2 months; plus I don't use it that much that my data usage would show up as excessive if VZW monitors use patterns.
To be precise, Verizon has not yet offered any tethering option for the 700w. Any tethered use of a 700w is against the TOS (terms of service), and while you can "fly under the radar" if Verizon does detect excessive use they have the right to turn off the data and/or charge you extra. :(

From what I've heard, they will turn on USB tethering sometime in the near future with that $15 add-on. Not sure about BT.

--janak