View Full Version : softkeys + non-softkey optimized software = waste of buttons?

msafi
01-14-2006, 08:32 PM
is there a way to get my hardware softkey buttons to navigate non-softkey optimized bars?

Patrick Y.
01-15-2006, 03:06 AM
I don't think so. The developer has to support softkey in their software.

msafi
01-15-2006, 06:16 AM
no, they actually don't have to. with your X50v you don't care whether they do or don't; you don't have dedicated hardware buttons for the softkeys.

Patrick Y.
01-15-2006, 06:59 PM
no, they actually don't have to. with your X50v you don't care whether they do or don't; you don't have dedicated hardware buttons for the softkeys.

Sorry, but I don't really understand your question... :oops: Though, the software that doesn't have softkey support just show up as regular menu bar as on SE on my WM5 x50v.

msafi
01-15-2006, 07:24 PM
to reduce stylus dependancy some PDAs have dedicated hardware buttons for softkeys. if the program supports softkeys you can use these buttons to navigate through softkey menus. if the program doesn't support softkeys, those buttons become simply useless. the HTC Wizard has buttons dedicated to softkeys, the X50v doesn't have them.

PetiteFlower
01-16-2006, 04:43 PM

He didn't mean that software developers are REQUIRED to support softkeys; he meant that if the software does not support hardware softkey buttons then there's no way around that.

msafi
01-16-2006, 04:53 PM
oh yeah. i just re-read the post. he did mean that...stupid me...