View Full Version : Been away for awhile - which one to choose now?

tourdewolf
01-14-2006, 02:12 AM
Hello all,
Haven't been cruzing these boards in quite some time, since I sold my last PPC early last year. Have to say I really missed the community spirit around here. :beer:

Long story short I am completey fed up with trying to keep things organized on my Treo 650. Just finished David Allens' GTD (for the second time) and realized that life was much easier when Pocket Informant lived in my pocket. My last PPC was a x50v which was great but poor battery life keep it from being useable daily. Prior to that was the iPaq 4355 but was just a little too large with the integrated keyboard. The most luv was for the 4155 (should have kept it I know).

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to read up on all the hardware discussions so I am sorely out of the loop. What are the popular models today, any clear winners? I know it's a personal preference but I could sure use some help narrowing the field.
Primary uses:
Pocket Informant
Buetooth
WiFi
Listpro
Divx/avi
MP3/WMA
Pants pocketable
Reliability??

Thanks for the help!

TD

pocketpcadmirer
01-14-2006, 02:40 PM
There have been a plethora of PPCPEs after Dell X50V which was ur last PPC.

Since you've not mentioned VGA on ur list, I'd suggest you to take a look at following devices....

(i) Imate K-Jam
(ii) Imate Jasjar

Both the units have good battery life and offer optimum performance. Jasjar has mini-laptop design with VGA display. K-Jam has a slide out keyboard. Here the Website (http://www.imate.com)

Sunny

ADBrown
01-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Axim X51v, all the way. Cutting edge, all the bells, cheap, and (at least for me) a nice experience.

Patrick Y.
01-15-2006, 03:02 AM
Axim X51v, all the way. Cutting edge, all the bells, cheap, and (at least for me) a nice experience.
I agree, despite some bugs.

Janak Parekh
01-15-2006, 05:31 AM
The key question you should answer first is if you want a Phone Edition device or a standalone PDA. Based on that, the above responses are a good start in each category.

--janak

pocketpcadmirer
01-15-2006, 11:01 AM
I will not at all recommend X51V as the author was not happy with X50V battery life. Though X51V as 10% better battery life, but the difference is not huge.

Janak is also using Jasjar and its a nice converged device+a great communicator too :)

Sunny

Patrick Y.
01-15-2006, 07:03 PM
I will not at all recommend X51V as the author was not happy with X50V battery life. Though X51V as 10% better battery life, but the difference is not huge.

Janak is also using Jasjar and its a nice converged device+a great communicator too :)

Sunny

yeah, but 4700, Loox, etc. are much more expensive (assuming the author wants VGA). Since x50/x51 series cradle has a battery charger, you can just get another battery.

pocketpcadmirer
01-16-2006, 07:23 PM
Hello Patrick. I do not think lugging around with a extra battery is a good idea. Instead one(ie a power-user) should go in for a PDA with good in-built battery

Sunny

surfer
01-16-2006, 07:27 PM

Sunny

Why not? With my X51v I can get about 4.5 hours with medium brightness on the regular battery and about 10 with the extended. I wouldn't say that's bad. Have you ever tried it?

surfer
01-16-2006, 07:29 PM
Hello Patrick. I do not think lugging around with a extra battery is a good idea. Instead one(ie a power-user) should go in for a PDA with good in-built battery

Sunny

Don't you mean built in? :wink:

Patrick Y.
01-16-2006, 07:54 PM

Sunny

Well, I just thought that I would rather pay $30 for a additional battery than paying 200-300 more for a device such as Loox or 4700.

lesterm
01-16-2006, 11:25 PM
How about the hx4700 - fantastic battery life, vga and pocket informant in rom!

Constant Caffeine
01-17-2006, 10:26 PM
You mentioned the 4155. They are still available. Try a froogle search. The only thing I wish my 4155 had is the 2003 SE OS. I would love to be able to use it in landscape view. I also have to mention that hpshopping.com is offering free shipping on most PDA's. Good luck!

pocketpcadmirer
01-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Why not? With my X51v I can get about 4.5 hours with medium brightness on the regular battery and about 10 with the extended. I wouldn't say that's bad. Have you ever tried it?

Yes, I have. The battery life is not steller. With heavy use, that is, with frequent wi-fi usage one can expect very poor battery life from it(when compared to pocket loox and hx4700)

Sunny

Patrick Y.
01-19-2006, 12:46 AM
I still think it's better to pay $30 for an additional battery than paying 200-300 more for a device like Loox or 4700. My Axim is only 370 PLUS 2200 extended battery and 3 years warranty. Some people even paid for their x50v/x51v for less than 300.