View Full Version : Adding music to the Zune Library

dmylrea
03-08-2007, 05:40 AM
Am I missing something here? When I've ripped a CD to my music library from another program (iTunes, WMP11, etc.) and then want to add it into my Zune library, why does the Zune software have to search MY WHOLE LIBRARY again?

I just want to add a folder, ONE TIME!!! Not make it a WATCHED FOLDER???

Is there any way to easily just add a folder of MP3's to the Zune library (or WMP11, for that matter, as it seems to be the same!!)

Thanks!

Jason Dunn
03-08-2007, 08:19 PM
When I've ripped a CD to my music library from another program (iTunes, WMP11, etc.) and then want to add it into my Zune library, why does the Zune software have to search MY WHOLE LIBRARY again?

Well, it doesn't do that unless you tell it to.

I just want to add a folder, ONE TIME!!! Not make it a WATCHED FOLDER???

It sounds like you're ripping to a folder that isn't located inside one of your watched folders, then you're not wanting to put the folder you just ripped into the watched folder? That's kind of strange to be honest. ;) The whole idea of the watched folder is that it will look for new music inside that folder on a regular basis, including the music you just ripped and added. It's not perfect mind you - or as good as it should be - but in general it works ok.

Maybe if you can explain what you're doing in more detail I can offer a suggestion?

dmylrea
03-09-2007, 12:24 AM
Basically, I use WMP11, Zune Player software, and iTunes. I have an iPod and a Zune.

I understand the idea behind "watched folders", but, how long should I have to wait for a newly copied folder of MP3's to show up?

If I rip from within iTunes, the MP3's are put on my M: drive (all my players point to the same place for the library). When I start Zune or WMP11, the newly added music is not in my library. So, I go to "Add to library" and add that folder so it shows up sooner than later, but then Zune (or WMP11) scans my whole music library again.

iTunes does it how I think it should work...I can "add a folder to library", and it does just that--and it does it now.

Should the watched folders be updating quicker? Is it because M: is a networked drive?

Thanks.

Jason Dunn
03-09-2007, 12:38 AM
I understand the idea behind "watched folders", but, how long should I have to wait for a newly copied folder of MP3's to show up?

I'm not sure. It usually updates when your machine is in an idle state. Trust me, I hate the way this works myself and I wish there was a way to force it to be more aggressive.

If I rip from within iTunes, the MP3's are put on my M: drive...

Well, that's part of the problem - if you rip from within WMP or the Zune software, it will show up right away because it knows what it has ripped.

iTunes does it how I think it should work...I can "add a folder to library", and it does just that--and it does it now.

Haha. That's funny to be because I curse and swear (http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,11667) at iTunes all the time because it lacks even the most basic folder monitoring tools.

I think the answer is that there's no way to get what you want because for some bizarre reason, Microsoft things that "folder monitoring" means "checking a folder whenever it feels like it". :(

dmylrea
03-09-2007, 12:45 AM
Well, what I figured out is even more intuitive than I thought...to add a folder of MP3's to Zune or WMP11, simply drag the folder from Windows Explorer or My Computer to the Zune library windows, and voila!!!--instant add to library.

Problem solved.

Now, if Apple or Microsoft would get their collective act's together and make Album art work like it should.:rolleyes:

I guess they think we ONLY use one media player.

Thanks.

Jason Dunn
03-09-2007, 12:47 AM
...to add a folder of MP3's to Zune or WMP11, simply drag the folder from Windows Explorer or My Computer to the Zune library windows, and voila!!!--instant add to library.

I'll be interested to see if, when the folder monitoring tool kicks in, you end up with duplicate entries. Let me know if that happens.

Jason Dunn
03-09-2007, 12:48 AM
Now, if Apple or Microsoft would get their collective act's together and make Album art work like it should.:rolleyes:

Funny you should mention that, I'm just writing an email right now to a member of Microsoft's eHome team about album art.

What's your particular issue with it? The cross-compatibility of album art with using iTunes and Windows Media Player?

dmylrea
03-09-2007, 12:49 AM
I don't think I will get duplicates. If there is one this that Zune/WMP11 does well, it's knowing when something is already in my library.

But, I will let you know if I do wind up with duplicates.

Thanks.