View Full Version : MS VoiceCommand Question

Lex
01-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Anyone know if MS VoiceCommand will read contact info to you (I don't have a phone PPC) and will it read -any- future appointment or only today and tomorrow? The app seems pretty limited in what it can do if you don't want it to dial a number.

P.S. M.S. tech support couldn't answer these questions at first and ultimately declined to answer for the trial version. "Go to this website" which I'd been to and it didn't answer these simple questions.

Wow, I saved $40 ! :)

Don't Panic!
01-09-2006, 09:59 PM
It read contacts and emails on PPC2000 through WM2003SE devices. I'm not sure about appointments (Don't get many) or tasks. Also on WM5 it appears to have issues with contacts not finding them when you say lookup but working when you say call.

HTH

Sven Johannsen
01-09-2006, 11:35 PM
It read contacts and emails

? When did it start doing that? A good list of what it does is at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/voicecommand/features.mspx, though that is likely where MS sent you. There is a list of the actual commands somewhere online but I can't find it at the moment.

It doesn't read contacts or e-mail. It will go to a contact by saying the contact's name, as in Show Bob Jones. It will call Bob with Call Bob Jones. There is a bug right now that seems to be restricted to WM5 VGA devices where show Bob Jones shows a blank screen, even though it is actually the right place, as tapping the call buttton calls Bob.

Appointments is somewhat restricted to today and tomorrow. What are my appointments Today, What are my appointments Tomorrow. What is my next appointment will get you one two weeks from now, if that is the next one.

The media player functions are pretty nice. You can call up your tunes by artist, album, genre. Pause, forward, back, etc.

You can turn flight mode on and off verbally, and assorted other stuff.

I didn't find it too usefull with a PPC except for GeeWiz. It is actually pretty nice to have with a Phone Edition. It's too bad it isn't out for Smartphones.

I did have some trouble with having several large resident programs trying to run concurrently, like Voice Command and Calligrapher with WM2003SE (Axim X50v with 128M RAM even). Honestly don't recall if I've tried that on WM5 yet. I have VC on my K-Jam and Calligrapher on my Jasjar, but don't think I've tried both on one.

Don't Panic!
01-10-2006, 07:12 PM
I seem to recall it was back with the PPC2002 OS. It would read out everything in an email including "......." as period, period, period, period, period, period, period. :|

Godsongz
04-01-2006, 05:42 AM
There is a bug right now that seems to be restricted to WM5 VGA devices where show Bob Jones shows a blank screen, even though it is actually the right place, as tapping the call buttton calls Bob.

Does anyone know if Microsoft is making any progress with this bug? I've been going nuts for the last hour with this bug until I did a little Googling and found that I wasn't the only one with the issue. I just got my new Acer n311 a couple of days ago, and finally got around to putting MS VC on it tonight. Looking up contacts is probably 95% of what I use VC for, so this bug pretty much makes the software useless for me. Apparently this has been a known issue for quite a while now, I can't believe there hasn't been a patch.