View Full Version : Synch Two Devices to the Same PC?

piperpilot
01-09-2006, 05:46 PM
I got a Dell Axim X51v for Christmas. It runs WM5 and, hence, ActiveSync 4.1. I also have my old iPAQ 5455, which runs WM2003 and, hence, ActiveSync 3.8. Is it possible to synch both devices to the same computer? Even though the Dell will be my primary device, I want to keep the iPAQ synched as a backup.

PetiteFlower
01-09-2006, 06:12 PM
AS 4.1 should work with non-WM5 devices.

Darius Wey
01-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Is it possible to synch both devices to the same computer? Even though the Dell will be my primary device, I want to keep the iPAQ synched as a backup.

Yes, it's possible. You'll need to upgrade to ActiveSync 4.1 as that's a requirement for Windows Mobile 5.0. Fortunately, it's backward compatible, so your 5455 will still be able to use it for synchronisation.

The point worth noting is that while ActiveSync supports more than one partnership, it can't maintain two or more simultaneous connections. So before synchronising one device, you'll have to disconnect the other one.

victore
01-10-2006, 03:27 AM
I've been synching my Toshiba e800 and my Qtek 9100 with my laptop for a month now and everything is working well. I used to synch both devices with Outlook, but now that I'm trying out 4smartphone.net, I synch my Qtek with my 4smartphone Outlook profile and my Toshiba with my "offline" profile.

piperpilot
01-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Well, I can't make my 5455 connect as anything other than the dreaded "Guest." Very frustrating.

Darius Wey
01-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Well, I can't make my 5455 connect as anything other than the dreaded "Guest." Very frustrating.

Does an error message pop up? If this is a new computer you're connecting to, you should see a partnership wizard. If not, you might need to delete any existing partnerships on the computer and Pocket PC, and then start over.

piperpilot
01-10-2006, 05:45 PM
It showed the Partnership Wizard many times and after I would go through it, the device would display as being connected but would not synch. However, just a few minutes ago, I put it in the cradle again, the partnership wizard came up, I went through the menus and voila, it connected and synched. Now both my primary and back up devices are up-to-date. Yippee!!!! :D

Darius Wey
01-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Good to hear! It's funny how things always end up fixing themselves. :)