View Full Version : Treo 700w Sync Problem

jpjehu
01-08-2006, 04:38 AM
I just got the Treo - love it so far- I've had tons o PPCs. One major problem - it won't connect! It sees that there is a device, but never establishes the initial connection. It simply hangs while activesync says 'Connecting'. I think this might be a ActiveSync 4.1 problem.

Please help!

orlsurfer
01-08-2006, 03:20 PM
I bought my 700 yesterday -- woohoo :!:

I initially had an error mesg upon my 1st attempt to sync. My 2nd attempt took almost 35 mins but it worked! My old palm died on me a few months ago & I didn't replace it since I was waiting on this device w/ windows os.

I haven't tried a 3rd sync yet -- but added some word docs & other template type docs that I use frequently when away from the ofc. I'll be curious to see if it works. Plus, I'm excited to talk w/ our propeller heads about getting the exchange sync working too!

I actually tried a reboot between my 1st & 2nd attempt in order for the active sync sw to intialize. Perhaps that might help.

mesposito2
01-09-2006, 10:18 PM
I just got the Treo - love it so far- I've had tons o PPCs. One major problem - it won't connect! It sees that there is a device, but never establishes the initial connection. It simply hangs while activesync says 'Connecting'. I think this might be a ActiveSync 4.1 problem.

Please help!

I have no problem synching. I'd try re-installing ActiveSync if you haven't already, and soft-reset the Treo.

Mark

possmann
01-10-2006, 04:08 AM
no problems with mine - just had to insure thta I had the latest activesync on board... and away I went. I'm syncing with multiple computers - 3 - so I have my own set of challenges... but if I can imagine if I only went to one - absolutely no problems.

jlc61
01-10-2006, 04:26 PM
My 700w would never sync - on both of my machines.

I spoke with Palm and here's how we fixed it:

Go to Control Panel - open network Settings

Right click on the Mobile Device Network Setting - right click on properties.

Under This connection uses the following properties - click on on of teh check boxes so all are checked.

Click OK

Right Click on the network Icon and select Repai if your device is not connected.

When I did that Active Synch fired right up and recognized my device.

It's nice to see AS is still as frustrating as it was with WinCE 1.0. Sigh...

jpjehu
01-11-2006, 12:20 AM
I actually got a clean sync with IR - my first time ever using it, too! I think my company has shut down so many aspects of our computers that a typical USB sync didn't work. I was able to easily sync an old 3900 ipaq, but never worked for my Treo. I'm just fired up to sync! This is the best device I've ever used!

mpaque
01-11-2006, 12:26 AM
I couldn't get USB to sync either. IR and Bluetooth work fine. Go figure.

squeeze
01-11-2006, 12:31 AM
Make sure you don't have a VPN active when you connect. I notice that the Treo or AS creates a LAN connection. Once I disconnected from VPN it was fine.

You can VPN back in once the device connects.

Hope this helps.

jpjehu
01-11-2006, 01:59 AM
what does 'VPN' mean and how do you disconnect it...

squeeze
01-11-2006, 08:18 AM
VPN is "Virtual Private Network". It's used to create a secure remote connect to your corporate network. A VPN creates a "tunnel" and only certains connections can go in and out of your computer through the network (sort of).

Once a VPN connection is created, other connections that try to connect to your machine (authorized or not) will have a tough time. At least in layman terms that what it means/supposed to do. I'm just a user of a VPN.

Hope this helps.

One other thing to try is to do an AS WITHOUT any connections to a network. Turn of your wifi and disconnect the ethernet - try it standalone - worked for me sometimes when I was testing with/out VPN.

My "Tasks" sync would always get messed up. If I deselected it - sync would work just fine. Go figure.

Nurhisham Hussein
01-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Have you guys tried disabling your firewalls? This seems to help apparently.

rpglennj
01-16-2006, 12:02 AM
Just had my 700w for 1 day and was finally able to install Outlook 2002 via the supplied CD after I had to reconfigure it to "Run All From My Computer" b/c Outlook wasn't being written to Prog Files. That was problem #1.

Problem #2 is that ActiveSync will not move Contacts, Calendar, etc. from my desktop to my device. I keep getting an error, "ActiveSync encountered a problem on the desktop: Support Code: 85010014"

Spent over an hour with Palm upper tier support, they are aware of it (as are others across cyberspace with various fixes that aren't working for me yet). They are sending my ActiveSync log files to Microsoft and they are supposed to contact me when there is a fix. I'm sure that'll come before my 15 day trial period is up.

Anybody got any new discoveries, ideas or similar problems with this particular problem?

PPCMD
01-21-2006, 02:16 AM
So far the only way I am able to get my data to sync is to shut off my Firewall (FW) for the 30 seconds it takes. I should NOT have to do this and never had to with AS3.8. This is a HUGE issue.

I have also tried all of the suggestions to date, and provided AS all the priveledges it should need to sync in app control. Nada.

rpglennj
01-21-2006, 07:32 AM
To update my earlier post, I resolved the nasty 85010014 error code for now. I had found Outlook 2002 installed in MS Office XP Professional, but it was marked as "Unavailable" next to the drive in Add/Remove population list as well and wasn't showing up anywhere else in any search. Both Outlooks were apparently causing profile 8503001f errors it seemed on synching.

I reconfigured it to uninstall Outlook and did the new Outlook install with the supplied Palm CD PLUS deleted and then reinstalled my device from AS and now there's no problem. I know, kinda dingy, but now I can begin to see how the 700 really works.

piperpilot
01-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Problem #2 is that ActiveSync will not move Contacts, Calendar, etc. from my desktop to my device. I keep getting an error, "ActiveSync encountered a problem on the desktop: Support Code: 85010014"

Anybody got any new discoveries, ideas or similar problems with this particular problem?

I had this problem come up with Dell Axim X51v. The solution was to uninstall Outlook, delete certain references to it in the registry and reinstall it. Then, before connecting the device to synch for the first time, I had to make sure that Outlook was running on the PC. Worked like a charm after I did all that. Of course, it took me 8-1/2 hours on the phone with Dell and Microsoft to get to that point, but I have had no problems since then.

blueness
02-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Is Verizon/Intellisync's Wireless Sync disabled?

I found it a redundant app/service and uninstalled it.

If you do wish to keep it, it appears that it needs to be set to "enabled" in order to USB sync.

Here's the gist from Palm:
http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,Case=obj(40613)

ActiveSync screen seems stuck at 'Connecting' message

When you connect your Treo 700w smartphone to the USB ActiveSync cable, does the ActiveSync screen seem stuck on the "Connecting" message?

This can happen when the Wireless Sync (powered by Intellisync) application is activated on your device. The Wireless Sync application disables USB ActiveSync to avoid duplication of data.

Here's how to temporarily turn off Wireless Sync so that you can perform a USB ActiveSync operation:

1. Press Phone/Send to go to the Today screen.
Select the Wireless Sync icon. A menu should appear.

2. Select Show Main Screen.

3. Press Menu and select ActiveSync Setup.

4. The ActiveSync Setup screen appears. Select Enabled.

When you're done with USB ActiveSync, be sure to select Disabled to prevent the Wireless Sync application from duplicating data.

possmann
02-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Is anyone experiencing a real long time to symc? I mean before when I was using pre-Windows Mobile 5 and ActiveSync 4 - I'd drop the PPC into the cradle and within a minute - boom - sync'ed up. Now I connect the USB cable to the PC and the 700w, ActiveSync 4.1 doesn't always start up automatically, and when it does it takes minutes - like upwards to 10 to sync.

Anyone else have this?

trex14
03-02-2006, 09:15 PM
After a good deal of time on the phone with Palm Treo 700W Tech Support and going through the standard attempts of fixing my syncing problem, we ultimately did a clean, manual uninstall of ActiveSync 4.1, rebooted my desktop, then installed AS 4.1.

Unfortunately, I didn't take notes on what to do to get a clean, manual uninstall of AS 4.1. Does anybody have those steps?

Janak Parekh
03-03-2006, 05:44 AM
Unfortunately, I didn't take notes on what to do to get a clean, manual uninstall of AS 4.1. Does anybody have those steps?
From http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/activesync/tshoot-as4x.htm :

If you have to uninstall ActiveSync 4.x and want to reinstall ActiveSync 3.x, you need to use Add/Remove programs to uninstall ActiveSync 4.x. Then you need to delete the files C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\RAPI.DLL and C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CEUTIL.DLL. Then you can install ActiveSync 3.x normally. Please note that uninstalling ActiveSync 4.x will delete all your partnerships.

Are you referring to something like this?

--janak

bvkeen
03-08-2006, 10:35 PM
I couldn't get USB to sync either. IR and Bluetooth work fine. Go figure.

I have no difficulty at all syncing at home, but can't even get IR sync going at work. I have AS 4.0 (or 4.1, not sure) installed at work, as the IT folks tried for a while to support connecting to another WM5 device that I had (an x51v) but it came down to them having to unfirewall a port that they weren't willing to unfirewall, so no support for WM5 over USB. I had heard that some folks get around this with IR sync but I can't get IR sync to work at work (I don't even have IR at home). Any tricks that you had to use to get IR to work? I can't even get my x50v (WM2003SE) to IR-sync at work, yet there are no obvious settings that I see to change.

Thanks.