View Full Version : URGENT HELP REQUIRED FOR HARD RESET

Gill
01-07-2006, 06:34 PM
I have an O2 XDA 1. It started to run very slowly so was advised to do a hard reset which I did. Now I have to set up my XDA from scratch. I have got to the Align Screen part, but after I have aligned the screen, I can get no further. My XDA will not allow me to do anything else but align the screen.

Any ideas as to what I can do?

Thank you :D

Darius Wey
01-07-2006, 10:46 PM
I've heard (and seen) cases of devices needing a few Align Screen "attempts" before device setup continues. How many times have you aligned the screen only to have it repeat itself?

You could, from here, attempt another hard reset, or perhaps pull the battery out and let it run dry for a day or two and seeing how things go from there.

Janak Parekh
01-08-2006, 12:16 AM
The XDA 1 has a sealed battery, Darius. :( The equivalent is to press the "battery disconnect" button (i.e., in the hole that's not the soft reset hole) and wait for a while before you press it again to reconnect it. Gill, you may want to "disconnect" it for a while.

If it still doesn't align, your digitizer (or chips inside the unit supporting it) might be malfunctioning. :( The XDA 1 is a pretty old device...

Good luck,

--janak

Gill
01-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Thanks - I will try a battery disconnect and reconnect.

I have had dozens of attempts at getting further from the Align Screen page but no luck and even did several hard resets as well as lots of soft resets. The XDA has been running very slow for the last couple of weeks. I have found it takes ages to respond to a tap of the screen rather than instant.

Can the XDA be repaired?

Also, where is the Battery Disconnect button?

If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Thanks.

Darius Wey
01-08-2006, 02:37 PM
The XDA 1 has a sealed battery, Darius. :(

Bah. Forgot about that one. :( How times have changed. ;)

Darius Wey
01-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Can the XDA be repaired?

Pocket PC Techs (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/main~unit~O2_XDA-169~area~repairs-Full+Service+Repairs.htm) offers a few repair/upgrade services.

Also, where is the Battery Disconnect button?

It should be on the bottom-right side of the device, near the headset jack.

Gill
01-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Is the Battery Disconnect button the same as the Hard Reset button?

Also, on the back of the XDA, there is a little rubber piece which can be removed to reveal a piece of metal underneath - what is that for?

Darius Wey
01-09-2006, 05:43 AM

More or less. You'll have to press it, wait a few seconds, then press it again as the battery is disconnected and connected (thus forcing a hard reset). Unscrew the top of your stylus to reveal a mini-tip for inserting into the hole.

Also, on the back of the XDA, there is a little rubber piece which can be removed to reveal a piece of metal underneath - what is that for?

Hmm, not sure. It's a little hard to visualise.

Are you able to take a picture of it?

Janak Parekh
01-09-2006, 04:52 PM
More or less. You'll have to press it, wait a few seconds, then press it again as the battery is disconnected and connected (thus forcing a hard reset). Unscrew the top of your stylus to reveal a mini-tip for inserting into the hole.
Right - and my suggestion was to actually do the disconnect phase and wait for a while before reconnecting it.

That might be an external antenna connector.

--janak